Tanning Shelf with a Vinyl Liner Pool

jeams

Nov 19, 2013
Omaha
Hi - We are designing our vinyl liner pool, and were getting conflicting information on whether or not a tanning shelf (about 6-8 inches deep) is possible. The size of the shelf would be about 10 ft by 7 ft. Is it possible to incorporate this into a vinyl pool or would this be too shallow to effectively keep the liner down? Any other considerations if we were to add this to the plan?

Thanks!

Hi! We just finished our build in august 2013. We have a tanning ledge 18 x 6! We love it! We could not lower the water level below the returns for winterizing, because it would mean no water on the shelf. We had our pb close the pool and they felt everything would be fine. Check out our build. Good luck with your build?

Yes jeams it is possible but you do have the risk that the liner will pull away from the corner as there won't be enough water to hold it. This will happen more over time as the liner ages rather than when it is new.

Hi! We just finished our build in august 2013. We have a tanning ledge 18 x 6! We love it! We could not lower the water level below the returns for winterizing, because it would mean no water on the shelf. We had our pb close the pool and they felt everything would be fine. Check out our build. Good luck with your build?

Perhaps it was your I remember. If not, then we have seen at least a couple here.

The 6-8 would be water depth. With the concerns about not being able to lower the water below the skimmers to winterize, and the possibility that the liner may tear away from the floor over time, we may decide against it.

Is it possible to built just the tanning shelf out if concrete or some other material, and then connect it seamlessly to the rest of the vinyl pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn't be much different from having vinyl covered steps. I googled tanning shelf for vinyl pools and found a couple of other options you may consider. One was a raised tanning pool with either a vinyl or tile surface and a spillover feature. To winterize you would drain and cap that 1 return line. The rest of the pool you would winterize as usual.

I thought I had seen drop in fiberglass tanning ledges before but I could not find one searching on my iPad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.