Bleach & vinyl liner

Feb 24, 2008
Anyone have any ill effects like liner fading from using bleach or liquid chlorine? I am opening my pool for the first time in ten yaers & was talking to a pool store today to get a price on liquid chlorine. He said they dont carry it because it will fade the liner. he said they sell tablets & organic shock. I have a problem with anyone at a store wanting to sell me their product, no trust I guess.
I would rather hear it from normal everyday people that care, like everyone here. Please, any input would help & I really like the idea of the BBB method.

Thanks,
Anthony

anm1227 said:
Anyone have any ill effects like liner fading from using blesch or liquid chlorine? I am opening my pool for the first time in ten yaers & was talking to a pool store today to get a price on liquid chlorine. He said they dont carry it because it will fade the liner. he said they sell tablets & organic shock. I have a problem with anyone at a store wanting to sell me their product, no trust I guess.
I would rather hear it from normal everyday people that care, like everyone here. Please, any input would help & I really like the idea of the BBB method.

Thanks,
Anthony
If he is selling 'organic shock" that means he is either selling dichlor or trichlor for shocking. (All other chlorine or non chlorine shocks are not 'organic' All organic means is they contain carbon!) Both of these will lead to an overstabilized pool very quickly. Many pool stores do not sell liquid chlorine because there is paperwork involved when it's bought in bulk and sold in carboys. (Including EPA logs).Many pool stores don't want to deal with it. The one I work at sells probably more liquid chlorine than any other kind!
Liquid chlorine is no more likely to fade the liner than any other form. Once it's in the water all the different forms of chlorine form hypochlorous acid, hypochlorite ions, and chlorinated isocyanurates if stabilizer is present.

Tablets and "organic" shock have chlorine in them! Does he think that's some sort of different chlorine that doesn't bleach the liner???

IMO, there's more fading from direct sunlight than there is from the chlorine sanitizer, whatever its source.

I agree with Anna and the sun fading the liner way more than the bleach.

Thanks for the info. I going to stick to the BBB method.

Buy the way whats the best way to start the chemicals after I fill the pool? I 'll be filling with tap water that has high Iron content. I have a 16x32 IG 17,000 gal. pool and am going to get a TF 100 test kit this week.

Thanks
Anthony

I do want to remind people that adding concentrated chemicals to a pool, especially one with a vinyl liner and no floor drain, should be done slowly over a return flow with the pump running. For chlorine, but not for acid, you can also add it slowly into the skimmer (again with the pump running) especially if you can set your filter to recirculate to bypass it. Also, when adding chlorine over a return flow, lightly brush the side and bottom where you add it so that it gets thoroughly mixed.

Adding bleach or chlorinating liquid quickly in one place can have it settle to the bottom of the pool since it is denser than water. Same is true for Cal-Hypo. Even Dichlor doesn't fully dissolve completely right away. Once any of these chemicals fully dissolve and mix, then they no longer settle and are identical in their chlorine effects (I'm ignoring the effects from increasing CYA from Trichlor and Dichlor). Trichlor pucks in a floating feeder that parks itself in one place at the side of the pool is far more damaging due to the high acidity (low pH).

There are quite a few PBs I've communicated with who swear that bleach destroys vinyl (making it paper thin), but after talking them through what their customers were doing it became pretty clear that they were just dumping chlorine quickly in one place without any mixing. When they used Cal-Hypo, they were told to premix it in a bucket of water to avoid it settling to the bottom undissolved. Like many of these myths "bleach harms vinyl" there is an element of truth, but its not the whole truth and oftentimes, as in this case, the problems can be prevented.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.