750 SF vs. 800 SF--Does the size difference really matter?

My pool builder tells me the savings in cost to build will be $2000, but he mentioned that he could cut 6 inches off the perimeter of the pool all the way around and it will not feel like much of a loss. Do you agree? We are planning to build a free form pool with a straight away because we genuinely like to do laps. The length in the 800 sf pool would be about 42 feet. I wouldn't want to lose too much of that length, so your thoughts are appreciated.

I wouldn't think 6" out of likely well over 100ft would make a difference. That'd be less than 0.5% of perimeter. Likewise, 50 sq ft off of 800 is only around 6.25% of area. Not super significant, unless you have a lot of people in the pool. I know you can do the math ... it's just easier to make these kind of decisions (for me) if I think about the percentages. We, too, wanted a longer pool for laps. I opted for 41ft, which is almost exactly 1/2 lap of a 25m pool. Might be $2k you could spend on something else you really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six inches all the way around sounds like a reduction of one foot total on both the length and width. That's not too much, IMHO, but I would wonder why it's $2000 for two total feet of pool.

I'd go in my backyard and measure 41 feet. I think it would be fine but I'm a very visual person so would want to see it. There may be other considerations like decking to think of - for example if your deck had to go all the way to a particular fixed point, shrinking the pool might mean the deck actually has to make up the difference, and decking isn't cheap either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.