Preventing Liquidator’s white deposit from the horse’s mouth

DLSDO said:
Since the pH inside the LQ is so high and most people eventually have the WS....could the calcium deposits be due to calcium precipitating out in the high pH environment? If so then how about adding MA directly to the LQ to lower the pH into an acceptable range?
Adding MA to the LQ has been discussed. Most feel that this would not be a good idea as it would increase the danger of chlorine gas because of the high concentration of FC in the LQ.

Bleach and acid react to form chlorine gas, which is highly toxic. This reaction is a serious problem with full strength bleach and not a problem at all with the FC levels typically found in pool water. The top layer of liquid inside the LQ is somewhere in between, and very close to the full strength bleach on the bottom. It doesn't seem like a very good idea to try adding acid to the LQ, as there is at least some chance of producing chlorine gas.

Besides, pool water flowing in, and bleach diffusing up from the lower layer, will change the PH back to what it was fairly quickly.

Could you explain what the "gas" issue or direct me to the thread.
Chlorine gas is toxic and can be fatal.

If I remember correctly:
In low concentrations, it is an irritant to the tongue and throat, and can settle in the lungs, combine with moisture there, and form hydrochloric acid. At elevated concentrations, it can kill or severely damage tissue within just a few breaths.
It was used in World War I as a poison gas, and I believe there have been some terrorist-type attacks which utilized chlorine.

Ohm_Boy said:
Could you explain what the "gas" issue or direct me to the thread.
Chlorine gas is toxic and can be fatal.

If I remember correctly:
In low concentrations, it is an irritant to the tongue and throat, and can settle in the lungs, combine with moisture there, and form hydrochloric acid. At elevated concentrations, it can kill or severely damage tissue within just a few breaths.
It was used in World War I as a poison gas, and I believe there have been some terrorist-type attacks which utilized chlorine.

In point of fact it was experimented with as a weapon in WWI but never deployed in combat. It wasn't effective enough and more exotic gasses were employed.

Largely due to the WWI myth, it has been used in Iraq by insurgents in the last couple years and there have been instances of missing cylinders from WT plants here in the US over the last couple years.

Homeland security is tightening up on the transport/use of chlorine gas heavily right now. They're focusing on rail car security and working their way down to smaller installations.

There is a big movement to electrolytic generating bleach plants because of this and most wastewater plants are looking at switching to bleach or onsite generation.

Probably more info than anyone wants to know but sometimes I can't help myself. :roll:

I suppose I stand corrected. I thought that the German forces did deploy chlorine gas in World War I, about 1914 or 1915. Oh well. One day I'll have to correct my dad, if we're ever in the same place together again.

Either way, chlorine gas is some pretty noxious stuff, and can burn mucus membranes, throat, and lungs, and can be fatal. It's not something to toy with, especially in a 5 or 7 gallon container that one is holding one's head over in the back yard.

Re: Preventing Liquidator’s white deposit from the horse’s m

I have had my Liquidator now for about 9 months. I must say that it is the most dissapointing product I have ever bought/owned...The people who sell it should terminate the sale of it. The buildup of white stuff is something that cannot be avoided. I have spent more time fiddling with the liqudiator than I should ever have spent...I have tried everything...One day the water level dropped below the outlet float and my motor ran unprimmed for 2 hours...Fortunately I had to come home (wife called) and I found the pump running dry...THANK GOODNESS she called me home or I probably would have burnt up the new motor I had just recently installed. So for me I have given up on this inferior product..I cannot stress enough to those of you thinking of buying a liquidator - STOP AND DO NOT PURCHASE IT. It will cost you alot of time, trouble and frustration and in the end you will end up tossing it in the trash...I will simply determine how much CL to add manually to my pool each day to achieve my desired CL level..that way I will not have to worry about a $300 motor burning up nor will I have to spend countless hours out there messing around with it, cleaning out the white stuff from check valves, fitting and the flow meter - ugh no more for me ...When we go on vacation or the like, I will put in the 3" CL tabs to my CL feeder...this believe me, is the way to go...again don't waste your time on the Liquidator as it was not thouroughly tested for this issue and should not be used nor should it continue to be sold. I will hold on to it but it will sit idle...If I could return it I would but at least I know now. What a waste of $230 and my valuable time! I am also thankful I did not drill any holes in my pool equipment. I hope Hasa hears about this..

I used the LQ for over a year and had no WS issues and my sister is using it now whith no issues.

Did you do the 3/8" upgrade?
Did you add borates?

Sounds like you may be a candidate for either a injection pump or a swcg.

I have used it since day one of owning my pool. I see the buildup only in the clear tubing leading out of the LQ. The tubing is connected prior my pump. I have never seen any clouding at the pump or any where in the plumbing. I believe once the "white stuff" hits the main stream of the pool water it is so small nothing happens. Just my two cents... This year, I am testing using my PH Adjuster as a secondary LQ. So far so good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Aquaman95 said:
In point of fact it was experimented with as a weapon in WWI but never deployed in combat. It wasn't effective enough and more exotic gasses were employed.
WikiPedia disagrees with you, explaining in great detail and with lots of footnotes several occasions when chlorine gas was used on a large scale as a weapon in WW I.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.