Feb 2, 2014
Pool specs
Live in Houston
20000 gal
Pebble tec surface
Water chem normal
Water is supplied from a water softener home system

My problem:
I have travertine coping that is 3 years old and has lost its luster, it was not sealed after installation( 1st time pool owner and contractor did not recommend). The travertine in spots has white streaks but overall does not have the the glossy brown as when it was new. It looks great when it's wet..wish I could keep it that way. What can I do to get that look back

Thank you

I wish I could help, but don't even know where to begin on that. Maybe someone else has dealt with this.

Sorry I don't have more to offer, but I wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Glad you found us. :wave:

Why are you using a water softner for the pool? Your chemistry must be all over the place..

Have you tried brushing the travertine with a brush every day for a week or so? Might just be a build up of dust on the stone.

Also, natural travertine shouldn't "shine" unless you seal it. IMO, the natural stone is the perfect look anyways.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

It could be a couple of things...

1. There was a finish of some sort applied by the manufacturer that has since worn away and needs to be rejuvenated.

2. You may have mineral deposits (from splashout) that have dulled the look you want. You can test for that by cleaning a small spot with a 3:1 ratio of muriatic acid and water, then rinse right away. If the look is restored, you will have to clean the entire surface and get a better grip on your water chemistry to prevent reoccurrence

Why are you using a water softner for the pool? Your chemistry must be all over the place.
There is nothing wrong with using a softener for top-off, or partial fill. The key is proper testing, and knowledge of what constitutes good water balance for the pool. If the softener can meet the demand, it can be very beneficial in obtaining that balance.

There is nothing wrong with using a softener for top-off, or partial fill. The key is proper testing, and knowledge of what constitutes good water balance for the pool. If the softener can meet the demand, it can be very beneficial in obtaining that balance.

Good to know. I was under the assumption that it would be problamatic if used with an SWG system. I'm putting in an SWG so would using my water softner help with minimizing the chemicals or does it really just depend on too many other factors in the chemistry.

Good to know. I was under the assumption that it would be problamatic if used with an SWG system. I'm putting in an SWG so would using my water softner help with minimizing the chemicals or does it really just depend on too many other factors in the chemistry.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please open a new thread about this with your questions? I will answer any I can there so we can
avoid hijacking this one any further.

I don't have travertine around my pool, but I do have a similar problem with marble tile in my bathroom. Both marble and travertine can be etched by acidic substances. In my case, it turns out the cleaning lady was using scrubbing bubbles which is acidic - and it says not to use on marble on the can warnings (oops). The marble has turned dull and lost all its shine, similar to what you are describing. Definitely try to clean it first with non-acidic cleaners, especially those specifically made for travertine. If that doesn't work and it looks like you have etching, get ready to spend a lot of time with expensive stone polishing compounds and a buffer...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.