One last try to get some help... Need to get this done and still somewhat confused...

beachinmoney

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
I can not afford to buy a whole new Pump and pay for install. I just had to buy a new Heat pump at the tune of 5K. I am getting some yard work done, a paver and the rocks and plants around the pool. Also have to get Solar Screens for the windows. That means I am shot right now on money so I need a new motor. As previously stated I have a SP1610Z1e in my SP4010NS. I have an inground cleaning system so I need some high speed but I also need to cut down on my power bill this summer. I have basically been told that he good one to buy is the 2EZ speed. Now, my concerns, in reading stuff... I am seeing people referring to "the wet side" Saying if that is good that you can just replace the motor not the whole pump. The only problem I have is there is some leaking which leads me to believe the motor will eventually go and maybe going now so I also need to purchase a gaskets. Now, I found this,

Emerson 2EZ Speed - 1.5HP Square Flange Freeze protection 2 Speed with Timer for only $309.00. I will also post some pictures I took. I have no idea how to see if it's wired for 115 or 230. I need to make sure I buy the right one and that there aren't any extra's that I need. I just don't see how I can afford to pay someone another $150 to install it... I do have a boyfriend who can install it. We have a volt tester I can use if someone would be nice enough to help tell me what to do. My boyfriend is not real helpful and available to answer these things for me. It's a long reason why but I need to get this thing replaced and I am really hoping to get it ordered and done in the next couple of days...View attachment 27387View attachment 27388

Everyone has been so great on answering questions but when it comes down to the last things I am still questioning I'm not sure on the answer... the 115V or 230V and if it's square or what ever all the other things are.... Really appreciate this!

I'm not sure if I have responded to any of your old posts but I wanted to make sure you knew that APS and SRP have discount programs for purchasing VS pool pumps. You have to come up with the money and purchase the pump then once you have installed it and have it running they will give you a portion of your money back. I think its like 200 - 300 bucks the last time I checked. I have APS and they have an approved pump list that you have to pick from. Then just purchase the pump from the retailer of your choice. Also I wanted to mention that both SRP and APS have lots of time of use plans and equalizer plans that help keep your power bills managable through out the hot summers. We have a 2500sqft home, 12k gallon pool, keep the A/C around 79 in the summer time and I work from home and the bills on our plan and the equalizer are $279.00 per month. They adjust it once a year if need be.
You can google how to check for 120v or 230v with your multimeter at you pool timer. Be extremely carefull if you decide to do this yourself. Or you could post picks of your timer and we can tell you where to put your meter leads.

Checking the voltage should be pretty straightforward. Find the circuit breaker for the pump. If it's just one, its 115V. If it's two that are linked, then it's 230.

I swapped my pump motor in place pretty easily, although mine was a straight replacement with no upgrade. I actually found it easier to open the circuit panel and disconnect the wires and the conduit nut and pulled the whole flexible conduit out with the motor and disconnected it after the motor was out where I had some room to work. The motor to the wet end was only six bolts.

Thank Shane, yeah, I don't really need to replace the whole pump. I just need to replace the motor. I know all about APS and their rebates and what not. I will take a picture of my timer.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay Richard, so to make sure I understand, when you say one breaker you mean just one switch. Cause there are two things that switch together right...I saw the instructions on how to do it and it looks pretty easy. I mean I did rig my washing machine. The skirt had bowed and rather then replacing the whole piece at $65 I went out and got rubber washers and cut them and then shimmied up the four little poles that hold the tub up. Taking it apart was a little chore but it still works great! Cost about $5...

The 2ez motor that comes with the timer has the instruction book that I read as well..

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I am in Buckeye Too, only APS. I am from WA and I just can't help but still be amazed at the cost of power here!

Do I need the 1 hp or the 1.5?

Link for 1hp: https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/ ... 129180.htm
Link for 1.5hp: https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/ ... 129181.htm

I also couldn't find anything about a gasket kit? Do I need that?
Sorry, can't help with the sizing. I know nothing about that. But yes, you need a gasket set. Once the motor is off the pump, you'll need to split it from the back side of the wet end and transfer that plate to the new motor and replace the seal around the shaft and the gasket between the two sides of the housing. Somewhere on this site I know there's a lengthy post with step-by-step photos, if you spend time searching, you'll find it. There are probably also youtube videos that show how to do it.

Wanted to update everyone in case it helps on their search or in case everything I have found out is wrong. I am now looking at going with either a EVSJ3 or ECM16CU. Both are VS motors and they have timers. I am finding the best price for the EVSJ3 at $351 and the ECM16CU at $443.00.

Hmmm ... those are 3HP and 1.65HP and motors respectively ... which seems be a good bit larger than your existing pump. What kind of Hayward pump do you currently have? Super or Super II or ??? Not sure if may be designed for something as large a 3HP motor.

With pop-ups, you need high flow rates and thus it is going to cost you $ on electricity ... there is no way around that. If you want to save money on electricity, you are going to have to shorten your run time and/or run at a lower flow rate.

Those are Variable speed motors. They would run for a shorter time on a lower power. I now have changed directions again because even though everyone told me that they would fit my pump I didn't feel comfortable and it turns out they won't. So, now I have contacted a company that will sell me a SPX1610z2MNS that is a two speed motor, it is from AO Smith and he is also including a new TORK-PP-20R-2P4 timer that he bought off someone going out of the business. He said that his people don't like to try and sell them and he is tired of looking at them. All this for only $245... Opinions???

The reason that I went back to this motor is because after talking to a lot of motor shops I was hearing that the 2ez pumps tend to break due to the computerized timer being soldered into the motor... I didn't want to spend all that money and have it break in two years. I was told that this pump is stronger. I was also going to put a coolaroo cover over the whole pump and frame something in to hide it and make it look better, keep it cooler and cleaner...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.