Replacing Controller - Where to Start?

Dec 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our current controller is a Fiberstars WPC-2 and while it works okay normally, I don't care for the air temperature sensor-based freeze protection. I've considered upgrading my panel in order to get a water temperature-based sensor, but my pool company's recommendation for a $2000 replacement left me cold. (Sorry.)

Our needs are pretty basic, I thought - remote for the light and waterfalls, and clock timer for pump scheduling, plus water temperature freeze protection.

Recommendations for specific panels would be fine, but I'm really looking for a starting point in order to research the issue and compare features. Can you point me in the right direction, please?

I thought all automation systems used air temperature for freeze protection :scratch:
That had not occurred to me. I like my pool company for repairs, and when they said everything else they worked on was water-sensored, while mine was old, I assumed that technology had passed me by.

poolkid, I'll look at the Z4, thanks.

Is there any basic controller 101 info I can review?

The freeze protections are based upon the air temperature. For a very basic system you could go with a Pentair Suntouch. However, if you current system has the breakers inside the control panel, which I'm pretty sure it does, you will then need to find a similar system so you can remove the old control box and mount a new one with the breakers in it. This is probably what your pool company quoted you for $2K.

The freeze protections are based upon the air temperature. For a very basic system you could go with a Pentair Suntouch. However, if you current system has the breakers inside the control panel, which I'm pretty sure it does, you will then need to find a similar system so you can remove the old control box and mount a new one with the breakers in it. This is probably what your pool company quoted you for $2K.
They quoted for the Hayward E-Command 4 (HPC-4-ACT_RC) plus installation.

The problem is that I asked for the quote based upon my belief that I needed a water-temperature-sensor-based system; the old one is working okay. Since I don't need to move away from the air-temperature-sensor-based system, then I have no need for a new panel.

I say the old one is working okay, but I don't know what temperature kicks it on (though ice does close the circuit), and based as it is in a warmer panel box against my house, the temperature probably reads higher than ambient.

So - nice save, folks. I'll revisit when the control box gives up completely. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.