Pinch-A-Penny Water Testing Results WAY OFF vs Taylor K-2006

Nick's Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2014
Naples, FL
Hi All,

I'm sure there's a post somewhere in here about how the Taylor K-2006 or TF100 testing results are superior to any pool store readings but I wanted to double check since the results were extremely far apart and I was just about to add more Calcium Hardness to get up to the recommened level for SWG (300 ppm) but now, I'm a little bit iffy. Only reading that came out similar were the pH and CYA. Below are the results of the two.

Taylor K-2006

Free Chlorine 7.6
pH 7.7
Alkalinity 80
Calcium Hardness 250
Stabilizer 70
Salt (K-1766 Test) 3800

Pinch-A-Penny

Free Chlorine 3.0
pH 7.7
Alkalinity 100
Calcium Hardness 350
Stabilizer 70
Salt (K-1766 Test) 3500

Note, I've done several tests with my K-2006 because I've been trying to reduce the FC by reducing the output on the SWG or keeping it off completely, dial in the Alkalinity to 70-80 and Hardness to 300 and the results have been the same. So why the big difference?

Thanks all for your help.

As you suspected, trust your results...however other than the FC, they are closer then I would expect. Was pinch a penny using a fas-dpd test, or just the dpd test?

One other note, it looks like you are using the 25ml sample for the fas-dpd test...there is not real reason to have that precision (0.2 ppm), the 10 ml sample with 0.5 ppm precision is fine and saves reagents.

Bottom line, pool store results have been shown time and time again to be very unreliable.

Hi Linen,
I think they were using just the dpd test. You are correct, I usually use just the 10 ml sample but because there reading was so much higher on the chlorine, I decided to do the 25 ml just to be more accurate. But I've learned to use the 10 ml measurement and also one scoop vs two scoops of the powder.

So would you say I should add more calcium to get to the 300 level or just hold off?

Thanks!

You really can't compare dpd results with fas-dpd results unless the FC is really low...definitely trust your test, not only is it more accurate, but you are likely much more consistent with it then pinchapenny.

As for adding CH, what is the CH of your fill/makeup water? What is your water temperature? How old is your plaster?

linen is being thorough with his questions ... if it were my pool, I would say that 250ppm CH is likely good enough for now as it is going to slowly rise as water evaporates and is replaced anyway. Just do not lower the pH below the mid 7s and should be fine ... after all 250 is in the recommended range ...

ETA:
Advanced information below .... not for the faint of heart ;)

I refilled my pool and my CH was around 120ppm ... knowing the rate of evap and CH rise in AZ, I left it and maintained higher pH. Now 10 months later it is around 260ppm. So if I would have raised it to 350, by now I would be approaching 500ppm.

Thanks for your help! The temperature of my water is 80 degrees. My plaster was done in 2009. I think I was just trying to get to the 300 since that seemed like the "ideal amount" in the SWG article but I will just leave it for now.

Thank you Patrick! Absolutely!! Since I'm a newbie and until two weeks ago, was having my pool professionally serviced, I spent A LOT of time reading all these great forums and absorbing as much information as possible and the first item of importance that was mentioned was to get a realiable test kit. I'll admit, I was wicked intimadated at first by the whole drop base proceduce but after praticing a few times and watching the videos, it's not difficult and is quite enjoyable. Actually, the CYA test is still somewhat tricky for me but I'll get the hang of it.

Richard, I enjoyed your post ALOT!! Funny, after my first chlorine test using the K-2006 and not knowing I could really use a 10ml sample, I wasn't enjoying life after 30+ drops and said to myself, there's gotta be an easier way than stirring after each drop. Then I read a post about the Speed Stir and that's when it became FUN! Only thing I was bummed about was using it for the Salt Test. Took awhile to scrub the scratches it made on the tube, so I don't use it for that test but it is great!

Patrick, this website and all the information the TFP Team provides is AWESOME!!!! Not to mention The Pool Calculator! I spent $10 on an iPhone app that doesn't even compare to that program. I will reiterate, I knew NOTHING about maintaining pools and everything I've learned came from reading on this site! This whole experience with tests and chemistry has become a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it. Wife might be a little mad because I'm spending so much time studying up on this pool stuff, but she's happy we're saving the monthly charge for a service guy so it's still a win win :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Patrick, this website and all the information the TFP Team provides is AWESOME!!!! Not to mention The Pool Calculator! I spent $10 on an iPhone app that doesn't even compare to that program. I will reiterate, I knew NOTHING about maintaining pools and everything I've learned came from reading on this site! This whole experience with tests and chemistry has become a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it. Wife might be a little mad because I'm spending so much time studying up on this pool stuff, but she's happy we're saving the monthly charge for a service guy so it's still a win win :D

Thanks for the kind words about the forum, and so glad you are learning from it! Posts like yours are a lot of the reason we hang out here. We really enjoy helping people take control of their own pools. You'll see by the end of summer or sooner, that this stuff is a breeze. It really isn't hard at all once you get the feel of it. Be ready for people being in disbelief when you tell them that mostly what you do is add acid and bleach. :lol:

As for the Apps, I never even looked for one because I use the now, Pool Math on my phone or whatever PC I'm on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.