Strange things are afoot at TFP?

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Preface - I am not a computer person. Please don't laugh if I say something dumb.

I think the new TFP is having a strange unpredictable effect on my computer. Since the update I have had ~15 incidents where my screens just go black, and cannot be resurrected without hard-booting the laptop. Using the docking station and external monitors, or the laptop screen. I'm using Firefox.

I started taking notes (which programs, etc) after the first few times, and every time I've been logged in to TFP. It actually makes me afraid to come to the site!

Am I just paranoid, or could there actually be some issue? New browser? Gremlins? Root beer spilled in the computer?

I have been using Firefox here and Chrome at home without issue.

There are some strange things going on in the Mod world, but not heard anything about locking up computers.

1. Have you asked Butterfly to release all your pods?

2. Do you think it's time to upgrade the IBM XT 8088 with that 16 Meg hard Drive and 8k of RAM?

Ok, OK, I know I am not funny but I can report no new OS issues since we switched. I am using
Chrome and all is well for now

The best place to start looking is in your system logs for Windows. What version of Windows are you using? It is highly unlikely that a Web Page is causing your issue. When your screen goes black do you still have a mouse pointer? The next time it happens, hold down Control, ALT, and press delete. You should see a window pop up. Choose the Task Manager. Click the applications tab and click Firefox and click end task at the bottom and see if your desktop resumes. Post the results.

Since this is my computer at work, we have scans run automatically each week.

ComputerGuy, no, there's nothing...no mouse pointer, etc. When I'm using the dock the screens immediately go into standby (no signal). I can try to bring up the task manager, but can't tell if it happens or not!

Maybe I shouldn't be on TFP at work......?

Does it also happen when the unit is not docked? If your monitor goes into standby it is losing the signal from the computer. I assume the power light is still lit on the computer. Have you noticed if there is any activity on the hard drive as indicated by flashing of the hard drive light after this happens? Take notice of this the next time it happens. When it does happen, look for a symbol on one of the function keys on the keyboard. It will most likely have an icon of one or two monitors on it. When you lose sync on the external monitor hold down the Function key and press the key with the monitor(s) on it and see if the laptop screen comes on. If it does not, press the key combination again and see if anything happens. It could be a malfunction in the dock or the connector on the bottom of the laptop that makes the connection to the dock. Try bypassing the dock and connecting the monitor directly to the laptop as well as the keyboard and mouse. Activate the external monitor by pressing the key combination described above. Run the system this way and see if the problem occurs. There is nothing I know of that displays or runs in a web browser that would cause your monitor to lose sync and enter standby mode. This is not to say that it is not possible, just highly unlikely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.