New Pool in Richmond, TX

Jan 14, 2014
Richmond, TX
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum\pools and have found a lot of great information on the site - thank you!!!

We're in process of building a new pool and they just recently broke ground. Wanted to run by my configuration by the forum to see if there are any glaring poor choices I've made that can be resolved prior to applying gunite.

I appreciate your input.

Pool Size:
455 Sq ft
92 Per
16'x 38'
Depth 3.5 -> 7'
21,000 Gallons
Features:
1 Bench
Top Existing Patio
Tanning Ledge with 3 bubblers
23' of raises wall w/ 3 sheers (2 - 3', 1 - 4')
Structural Specs:
100 % Gunite 6 1/2 sack mix min 4500psi
12x12" beam construction with .5" rebar every 4' around perimeter of beam
8" walls and 6" floors
(4) Bars of 1/2" rebar pool walls/floor on 8" center
Covers and drain at 6" center
Plumbing:
Schedule 40 PVC
CPVC at pump and connections
Valve Four (4) 2" x 2.5" Jandy 3-way
Auto-Fill Line 3/4" sch 40 PVC with valve and vaccumm braker
Main Drain Paramount MDX
Six (6) pool returns
2" sch 40 PVC overflow
Control flow for weeping wall
Two Skimmer s - Pentair Bermuda with equalizer
2" direct plumbing for each skimmer and main drain with independant valves
Equpiment Specs:
(All Pentair - unless noted)
Filter 420 sq ft cartridge filter
Pump: 1/5 HP Whisperflo pump
Water Feature Pump: 1.5 HP superflo
Hayward Suction Side Automatic Cleaner
Dual Timer
Salt Water Sanitizer
Two 500 Watt Lights
Plaster:
Standard White
Tile and Coping:
Travertine

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Only a couple quick observations:
1. Get at 2-speed pump for the main pump. Will save you money in the long run on electricity. Likely could get by with something smaller than the 1.5HP Whisperflo as well.

2. I think there are better suction cleaners than the Hayward (which one?). The Pool Cleaner is highly rated (and actually just bought out by Hayward).

3. Which SWG? The Pentair has limited functionality of only 20% output increments if you do not have their automation. The Hayward SWG has the same chlorine output with better output % control and the replacement cells are cheaper.

4. Did the builder mention any concern with using travertine tile with a SWG?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Only a couple quick observations:
1. Get at 2-speed pump for the main pump. Will save you money in the long run on electricity. Likely could get by with something smaller than the 1.5HP Whisperflo as well.

2. I think there are better suction cleaners than the Hayward (which one?). The Pool Cleaner is highly rated (and actually just bought out by Hayward).

3. Which SWG? The Pentair has limited functionality of only 20% output increments if you do not have their automation. The Hayward SWG has the same chlorine output with better output % control and the replacement cells are cheaper.

4. Did the builder mention any concern with using travertine tile with a SWG?

Thanks for your response JBLizzle.

1. I don't completely understand how a 2 speed pump would help save $ on electricity? Could you elaborate? Since I'm just pushing the pool equipment with this pump wouldn't I always run it at the same speed?
2. I'll have to pull specifics on the Hayward cleaner as I'm not sure what model was selected.
3. Again, don't have specifics on the SWG [:(]. But that is good advise as there isn't any automation going in. I'll ask my PB about the possibility of moving the a Hayward model.
4. I received some advise on the use of a SWG along with natural stone. What I took out of the conversation is that any natural stone just needs to be sealed. Is that incorrect? I actually haven't finalized by coping choice some I could be swayed if there's something I'm not aware of.

Again, thank you!!!!

What I took out of the conversation is that any natural stone just needs to be sealed. Is that incorrect?
Kinda' yes and kinda' no. There's a lot of variables and, while sealing certainly would help, it is not a one-time thing.......you will have to seal frequently. Usually Sandstone and flagstone (softer material) are the most susceptible with harder stone (maybe like granite) being virtually impervious to salt.

Not sure you really need two pumps. My PB originally called for two pumps, but after he quit the job and I took over my plumber suggested I could go with one pump and the booster pump for the cleaner. I have a spa and the only downside to one pump is that I can't run the spa and the two bubblers at the same time. I don't care about that and I'm happy with my one pump.

I also suggest you look at a two speed pump. It might save you money in the long run. When my pump dies I'll probably get a two speed.

As for a SWG and travertine coping, mine is going on three years and so far I have experienced only a small amount of erosion on one piece of coping. At this rate, I'll need to replace one piece every 10 years or so. Try to find the least porous materials you can find. My coping is rather smooth and fairly hard for a natural surface. I also apply a good sealant every 18 months or so. All in all, I wouldn't have a pool without a SWG. YMMV.

For just filtration, you are better off running your pump at a low speed. A 2-speed is only a little more expensive than a single speed and when running on low speed it uses 1/4 the amount of electricity.

You do have a fairly significant water feature that "might" warrant its own pump. What is the flow rate requirement?

Alternatively, you could go with a single larger VS pump like the Intelliflo. At higher speeds it should be able to run your water features while still filtering the pool. And when the water feature is not running, you could run it at a lower speed than the low on a 2-speed pump and save even more $ on electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.