Pool Filter Selections

Feb 5, 2014
I currently have the Sta-Rite S7M120 and would like to get away from the high cost of the replacement filter cartridges. From what I've read, the D.E. filters are a great choice, but my head starts to spin when I start looking at all of the options out there. Does anyone have a solid recommendation on what I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
De3isit

If you'll put your pool and equipment info in our sig we'll be able to see it and it'll help greatly in us being able to recommend things such as a proper filter size.
Just because you have a 120 now doesn't mean it's the right size for your pool.

The Pentair Quad DE filters are highly recommended. Their "cartridge" design makes them very easy to open up and clean out, and their large sizes allow you to go longer between cleanings. They don't backwash quite as easily as others, most people just open them up and wash them out that way instead.

Properly cared for, cartridges should last many many years. How often are you having to replace them?

DE is reportedly the best filtration, but also the most work in my opinion (all I have ever had though).
Sand is the least work, but also not quite a good at filtration (but they will keep pools crystal clear).

What size is your pool?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

{Glad to see you are still around ... there was quite a goof with your other thread that appears to now be restored}

So either one of these would work fine? Do you really need the backwash valve or can you just take it apart for cleaning?

Pentair Sta-Rite SD Series Modular D.E. Filter System 3 | Backwash Valve Required - Not Included | 60 Sq Ft |S7MD60
Pentair Sta-Rite D.E. Filter SD Series System:3 | Backwash Valve Required - Not Included | 72 Sq Ft | S7MD72

Those DE filters are WAY bigger than you need. I would get the 48 sqft at the biggest.
I think you have to have a backwash valve as I am not sure you could buy the couplings to mate up to the filter body.

You never answered how often you are buying new cartridges ... or why?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have replaced them once in 3 years. My thought was that replacing the filter would be more cost effective over time, instead of buying the cartridges at about $600.

- - - Updated - - -

This one seems to be a better fit.

Pentair Sta-Rite D.E. Filter SD Series System:3 (Backwash Valve Required - Not Included) 37 sq. ft. | S7D75

There are cartridge filters that are MUCH cheaper than the Sta-rite System series ( I would stay away from them) Look at one of the Pentair Clean & Clear if you want to keep cartridge. In fact I would not get any of the Sta-Rite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.