Time to for New Filter System---Looking for DIY Install posts

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
Just got a new Hayward Maxflo VS and love it....My pool is 20 years old and my filtration is currently 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridges that sit under my skimmer baskets on the suction side. The pool guy says filtration wasnt meant to be sucked through filters and I should consider a real Cartridge Filter System like the Pentair Clean and Clear 420 SF. So I am looking for a couple of things...
1. Will this be more efficient than my current setup?
2. Is there a post here that details DIY Install...is this any more difficult than installing my pump?
3. Any posts that review various cartridge filter system manufacturers/models and sizes? Hayward, Pentair, etc.
I read the pool school and decided that a larger cartridge filter system is what I would like to go with.
Thanks in advance for any help or direction to other posts that can help me.

1. Probably. Since you are reducing your suction head loss.

2. If you did the pump, the filter is no harder ... There is no electrical ;)

3. The major brands are all pretty similar.

Looking at the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge 420 sq. ft. In Ground Pool Filter available for $750 from what I can find online. Anyone have any raves/rants about this unit?

Pentair's CCP420 is a fine choice. I've been installing the Waterway Crystal Water cartridge filters (325, 425, or 525 sq ft) for the past 5+ years with great results. Search for the 425 version - model #570-0425. I just saw it listed for ~$560 with a whopping $110 for shipping. That's still about $80 lower than the price you found for the CCP420.

If it makes a difference, the Waterway is manufactured in the good old USA!

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.