Pool Pump Upgrade HELP

Feb 5, 2014
I could really use some help selecting the correct components to upgrade my system.

To start here is a list of the existing equipment.
Easy Touch Control Panel S7M120
Sta-Rite filter P6E6G-208L
Sta-Rite pump IC40 Chlorinator SR400NA
Sta-Rite heater

I would like to upgrade the pump motor to a variable speed model, but I don't know if I can just replace the motor and leave the pump assembly. Will a variable speed motor work with my existing control panel, or do I need to add something to the panel?

My system is about 7 years old and I would like to see if it could be upgraded to be accessed via my Ipad. Can my existing Easy Touch control panel be upgraded and if so, what do I need to do it?

Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks for the help in advance.
De3isit

Welcome to TFP!!!

Automation questions are some of the hardest for the forum to answer because so few members have experience with them. I am not sure what is required to give you Ipad access or what VS pumps are compatible.

I also rarely see where someone has replaced just the motor with a true VS motor; while it is fairly common to just replace the motor with a 2-speed motor. Are you sure you need a true VS pump? A 2-speed motor can save a significant amount of electricity by running on low most of the time. Also most automation systems have no problem controlling a 2-speed pump as long as you have a 2nd high voltage relay available for the pump. If your electricity cost is not very expensive, I would recommend going the 2-speed motor route with the existing pump.

de3isit: I can't answer your pump question, but can suggest a place to look for iPad/iPhone automation. There is a company that makes an add on component to provide smart phone visibility/updates/alerts, etc. I've been looking into that possibility as well. I don't have any experience or reviews of their products. I posted a link here so you can check them out; however, pay particular attention to the WIKI they refer to containing additional specs regarding the add-on requirements, housing, wireless requirements, etc. They only support a few types of equipment.
http://www.autelis.com/homeautomation/pool-spa.html

Welcome to tfp, de3isit

What is the reason you want to upgrade to a variable speed?

Do you have any high volume water features such as waterfalls, spa jets, etc?

What volume is your pool?

I live in California o the electricity is pretty high. The local utilities are offering a couple hundred in rebates as well. My pool has a spa with 6 jets and a 10 foot spillway. The pool is about 13,000 gallons.

Given that you have a spa, you likely would not want to go to a smaller pump. Also, I am not sure the rebate would be applicable to just replacing the motor with a VS one (if you could find it), I think it is only good for specific pumps.

Even with the rebate, it may be a good bit cheaper up-front if you just went with an equivalent 2-speed motor on your existing pump. Although in the long run a new VS pump may likely save more $ in reduced power consumption to offset the higher cost ... just realize this may take a few years to happen.

Given that you have a spa, you likely would not want to go to a smaller pump. Also, I am not sure the rebate would be applicable to just replacing the motor with a VS one (if you could find it), I think it is only good for specific pumps.

Even with the rebate, it may be a good bit cheaper up-front if you just went with an equivalent 2-speed motor on your existing pump. Although in the long run a new VS pump may likely save more $ in reduced power consumption to offset the higher cost ... just realize this may take a few years to happen.

Which 2 speed motor would you recommend if just replacing the motor? Would my easy touch panel handle it?

I am not very good at finding pumps, some of the other members seem to be able to do that much faster than me. What I found with a quick search is this: SQS1202R you would also need a new shaft seal.

If you automation has an empty relay, then I would think it should handle it.

Sorry I can't answer more about your pump and motor, but I did want to drop by and Welcome you to TFP!

I'm sure others will be here shortly to answer your questions in more detail!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not know about the Easy Touch. In my ProLogic, I just have the high speed going through the pump relay and the low speed going through one of the other relays. Then in programming I tell it what relay is low speed and then it takes care of only switching on one of the relays at a time.

AH ... yeah, I did like the picture in your link.

Not sure what "2 speed socket" is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.