What size fitting is this?

Feb 4, 2014
Noob question: My inground pool is drained and I need to replace the liner. I also want to replace my old fiberoptic light system with a retrofit LED either from Jandy or Next Step. Both of their products say they will fit a standard 1.5 inch return fitting. I took apart the fitting face plate and pulled out the existing fiberoptic light. The diameter of the female threads of the fitting are just under 2 inches. I don't have access from the pool deck to the pipe behind it. Any idea what size?

fitting.jpg

That looks like a fitting made for that light. Hayward and Jandy both have LEDs that will fit a 1.5" type return, but I'm not sure if either will work in your fitting.

Did that light just pull straight out, or did you have to twist?

Yes there are female threads on the inside of that fitting behind the tape measure. Does this mean it is likely a standard 1½" fitting even though the threads measure about 1.9"? I don't want to spend 1K on LED lights if they are not going to fit.

Typical 1½" threaded fittings have an OD of 1.9". It's very easy to check however, Just take a 1½" female threaded adapter or fitting and see if the lens that you took off the light will easily thread into it. If it does, it's 1½" NPT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.