Leak around face of skimmer - what do I use to repair it?

Jul 21, 2010
Garland, Texas
After following the recommended instructions :) to determine where I might have a leak in my 1200 gallon in-ground spa-ool, I have been able to figure out that it looks like the (slow) leak is where the plastic "faceplate" of the skimmer meets the Pebbletec plaster. I say this because the water level went down almost to the bottom of the faceplate of the skimmer (but not quite all the way) and stopped. And the water level inside the skimmer basin (even though I had turned the skimmer off near the pump) remained the same as the spa-ool water level which tells me the leak is not in the pipe from skimmer to pump, right?

So now my question is simply this. I have read that I use some sort of silicone to seal around the skimmer face plate against the Pebbletec, but is there a specific product for this purpose? Any recommendations on product, brand, where I buy it, and how I apply it? Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks as always (what would we do without this fantastic forum?)

Aussie Lady
Dallas, Texas

NOTE: Every time I submit this as a "new thread" some pool specifications (see below) automatically appear. Those are not my pool specs and I have no idea where they are coming from! My spa-ool is a freeform approximately 8 x 10 around 1200 gallons.

Fixed signature. JasonLion

LOL ... the mods are just discussing some weird signature behavior we have seen and this is very timely. Leave it and let us look into it.

I am not sure what the best product to use is, but I am pretty sure it is NOT silicone. More likely polyurethane I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.