Deploying for a year- possible to keep pool closed through summer? Other ideas?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have a potential overseas deployment on the horizon that would go from July-July. I take care of the pool myself. I'm wondering what my options are so it can be worry free while I'm gone. We have a SWG, so maint is mostly scooping leaves, emptying scupper, and backflushing filter.

I think my options are:

1) Close pool mid-summer when I leave and use our saftey cover over pool. CONs are the water will be a mess after a year, but it'll eventually clear up right? Wife would need to keep an eye on the water level and sump pump occasionally (cover has mesh drains). Pluses are not worrying about our toddlers falling in while I'm gone, the equipment can't get messed up, no operating costs.

2) Train wife to run pool- I think there's a good chance she could mess it up, either by forgetting to empty stainer and starving pump, or letting chemicals go wacky. But maybe not. Would still need to hire pros to close and open pool

3) Hire a professional to maintain pool while I'm gone.

All of those are possible options. Personally I would lean toward #2, but if you are more comfortable with #1 then we will certainly be here next year when you are ready to clean it up.

Is your wife going to want to use the pool at all while you are gone?

With toddlers, I think I'd close it. One less thing for her to worry about. Tell her about TFP so we can help her if something bizarre happens while you are gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.