We have a bad algea outbreak!

Elle

May 16, 2007
Northern NY
I'm soooo embarassed to admit this but have algea. Our pool was awesome and the weather was nice, we used it for like a week and then it got cold and we got busy. I sadly neglected my pool for far too long. We went out today to check on it and it was solid green and smelly. I dumped a big jug of 12% bleach in and backwashed the filter and brushed it a bit as well as threw in the robot.

I'm so mad at myself. Normally I'm so good at taking care of it but life got in the way.

CYA <20 (not sure as i could still see the dot at the top of the tube)
TA 80
PH 7.8
FC 5
CC .5

HELP!!!!!

Nothing that can't be undone. Read the basic pool chemistry stuff up in pool school.

You're gonna' need to get shock your pool and hold the high FC in your pool 'til it's back clear.

Once it's clear, bring your CYA up to around 30-50ppm.

That process will have little affect on your pH and don't even try to test it when the FC is really high.....the pH test is invalif in the presence of high FC.

There's no need to be embarrassed about getting algae. It happens, just like life happens. Keep the FC up and brush the bottom even when you can't see it. You'll get it back. YOU'RE the boss over the pool, not the other way around :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.