New Pool Light Housing?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I pulled my current light out of the niche over the weekend as it wasn't working and I figured I had a burned out bulb. Turns out it is a Fiberstars Jazz Light that was discontinued by the manufacturer some time ago. The problem with the Jazz Light is I'm having trouble finding any replacement kit (J20-2000) online. Also, it seems the Jazz Light isn't a simple bulb, but a more complex housing built solely for this setup, i.e. if you buy the manufacturer's recommend replacement kit (J20-2000) you get a new gasket, bulb, color changing apparatus, etc. The current gasket must be ripped/torn off to remove it thus the included replacement in the new kit. I've also got two switches on the wall, one that turns the light on/off and another that rotates the color wheel, which seem to indicate the custom set up in place for the Jazz Light.

What to do? How complex would it be to put in a new/universal housing (DIY job or professional job)? I'd probably prefer to find a replacement J20-2000 kit, but am not having any luck finding one.

The couple of places that "show" it online, don't actually have it in stock, but I did find this on eBay. What do you guys think, but that and just use the new lamp or potentially pop in the entire new unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fiberst...ltDomain_0&hash=item1e86a60749#ht_4531wt_1001

I did get this reply from one of the online companies when I asked about the item:Thank you for visiting our website. I double checked that product (J20-2000) and we are actually out of stock of that and wont be getting any more in since its discontinued by the company. I called the manufacturer to see if that had any replacement parts that you could use instead and they said that they do not because they don't make that light anymore. The advice they gave me to relay to you is that you will have to down-size your nitche from a 10.5" opening to a standard 4" opening to accommodate any other LED light. Or maybe even check to see if other online places still carry that part before stock runs out. If you have any further questions please let me now and I will be happy to answer them.

That looks like the non-color wheel version light assembly and if that's OK with you - not having the color wheel - I would think that would be a much less $$$$ than changing out the housing. You may want to call the manufacturer just to verify that assembly will mount to your housing but it sure seems like it will, based on the fact that the screw, face ring, compression clamp, lens and gasket are the same part number for color wheel and non-color wheel units.

That looks like the non-color wheel version light assembly and if that's OK with you - not having the color wheel - I would think that would be a much less $$$$ than changing out the housing. You may want to call the manufacturer just to verify that assembly will mount to your housing but it sure seems like it will, based on the fact that the screw, face ring, compression clamp, lens and gasket are the same part number for color wheel and non-color wheel units.

Yeah, I don't NEED the color, but would be nice to keep it if possible. I called the 3-4 places that show the J20-2000 part online and all are out of stock. I did get that lamp from eBay (offered much less than asking since they had 10+ available) and got it. I don't know the inner workings of this thing, but will definitely call the manufacturer prior to messing with it so I know what my options are. I was thinking I really just need to replace the bulb itself... keep the existing color wheel, etc. or if I can't just replace the bulb I replace the bulb housing but still keep the color wheel and use the new gasket from the new unit. But hard to know what I can/can't do until I get in there or get some detail from Fiberstars.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but I have two of these as well, although mine doesn't have the color wheel, I think it takes the same lamp

Would it be possible to convert to a LED housing and/or more generic housing?

Curiously my pool builder has the lamp on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-LAMP-...224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cde048258

They likely installed a bunch back in the day and have some stock still around?

But I'd rather convert to something that takes a "standard" style bulb if that is a possible project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.