New IG 20x34 Pool

Donny

Feb 1, 2014
Upstate, NY
I am having a new 20x34 IG pool (17,700 gallons) being installed. The PB lists 3 returns, 2 skimmers and 2 drains. He will use 1.5 inch PVC pipe. The pump is a 1.5 HP single speed pump. The filter is a Hayward C3030 (cartridge) type filter. Also there will be 3 sheer descent waterfall features. Does the equipment seem OK ?? I was concerned with the 1.5 inch PVC. I would think 2 inch would be better ??? Thx

Welcome to tfp, Donny :wave:

What is the total linear length of the 3 sheer descents? That will determine the flow rate required. Also, we would recommend as a minimum a 2-speed pump, since most of the time (and when you are not running the descents) you will want to run on low.

The filter seems sized correctly for your pool volume.

I would go with 2" minimum plumbing, especially on the suction side.

Thank you guys for the replies. The 3 descents will be approximately 2 feet wide each, and located in a stone planter that is 12' wide.
So from page 11 of the jandy op manual, there is a table the shows flow rate requirements per foot of linear length and is also dependent on how far you want the water to project into the pool and how high it is. Assuming 12" of projection, at 1 foot height, and 6 feet of linear length, you would need somewhere around 66 gpm of flow. What is your height and how far do you want it to project?

That will require more flow at 20gpm/ft for at total of 120 gpm. That would be a pump such as the whisperflo 2hp full-rated (WFDS-8, which is a 2-speed pump). In order to get this flow rate with that pump, I think you will only be able to run the sheer descents by themselves. Also, with this required flow rate, I would probably go with at least 2" (maybe even 2.5") on the suction side and 2" on the supply side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spoke with the PB today. Mentioned 2 inch PVC pipe. He said 2 inch pipe is unnecessary for my size pool and would be a waste of money. Seems like if you ask 5 guys the same question, you are going to get 5 different answers ??? :confused:

Haven't we gone through this in three different threads already?

How do I know if it is worth it to you? What is the cost delta? Seems the norm these days is 2" ... Maybe your builder is old school.
If you have low flow rate needs and a small pump, maybe you do not need it. But if only a couple hundred bucks ....

There is such a small incremental difference between 1½" and 2" that there is absolutely no reason not to get it. The labor cost of installation is exactly the same.

Think about this. If you go with 1½" there may come a time that you wished for a little more flow but can't get it because the piping is too small. If you go with 2" you've just removed the possibility of that happening.

I have 1½" on my aboveground pool and I plan on redoing it and going to 2".

I really doubt on a somewhat basic pool that the cost difference between 1.5 and 2 inch PVC is more than $50-$100. Other than that small out of pocket there is NO down side to using 2 inch. 2 inch will be better, will allow to not work as hard / do more work on the same amount of power, how much more depends on how close to the edge it would be with the current flow requirements, as well as how much restriction there is in the plumbing layout. Think of this like having an option on a new car that would promise to give you better fuel economy and perhaps better overall performance, but when asked to quantify it the best answer we can give without detailed study of your pool plans is between .5 and 4 mpg improvement and maybe more responsive performance depending on how you drive. So even worst case and it is a .5 mpg improvement, in the long run eventually that $100 initial cost will be paid back on power saved.

Ike

p.s. one thing to realize about pool builders, most do not look at the long term view, they layout pads to be compact and "neat" with no thought to leaving space to splice in replacement equipment, or include extra union fittings to make such jobs trivial. They install 1 speed pumps that are cheaper even when a 2 speed would pay for itself in power saved in a year or two (perhaps less), etc.

Haven't we gone through this in three different threads already?

How do I know if it is worth it to you? What is the cost delta? Seems the norm these days is 2" ... Maybe your builder is old school.
If you have low flow rate needs and a small pump, maybe you do not need it. But if only a couple hundred bucks ....

Having a bad day??

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.