Please help with my decision on a pump

Hi Guys...would love to have some experienced input on what to get for a pump for my new 27' AGP. Will be using Hayward Aqua-Trol SWG and either the Hayward Heat Pro 110 BTU heat pump or the Raypak 117BTU heatpump (still undecided...have a seperate thread looking for input on THAT decision!). The company I'm getting my pool from only offers Waterway pumps and sand filters. I would be looking at the Waterway Clear Water 22" Sand Filter System with 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed.
I kind of had my heart set on a Hawyard pump only because they've been highly recommended to me by people around here who are using them. I was considering purchasing my pump and filter seperately from a different site and was looking at either the Hayward 1.5HP Turbo Flo II or the Hayward 1.5 HP Flo Matrix pump....with Hayward 19" Sand filter.
The other thing I'm wondering is if it's worthwhile or smart to upgrade to the 2 speed pump with my set up described above.
I appreciate any and all advice on these decisions!
Thanks!

As long as you are getting a two speed pump, the 1 vs 1.5 HP difference is minor, and there are some minor advantages each way. For a single speed pump the larger pump will use more electricity and make more noise and not really improve much of anything.

High is normal and low speed is ~1/2 the flow rate of high speed and at about ~1/4 the power. As for the swg, usually you will have enough flow rate to run it on low speed, but your plumbing also determines flow rate, I am not sure on the flow rate specs on the heat pump.

That's the problem with the pump, filter packages, the pump is usually too big and the filter is too small. We like to recommend bigger filters as it cuts down on how often you have to backwash or clean if it's a cart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you get away with a smaller filter, possibly...but our recommendations are based off of the APSP-15 Standard and the experience of many many pool owners. Our recommended sizes should help keep your pool "trouble free." Also, a pump too large for a filter can cause the sand filter to channel and no longer filter effectively...though the pumps and filters you have mentioned probably won't have that problem. Additionally, if you do get an algae outbreak or if you get excessive debris in you pool, you will appreciate a larger filter.

Ok...I've talked to one of the most reputable pool sales/service/installers in my area. I asked him about 2 speed pumps. He deals with Hayward pumps, primarily. He told me that they sold them for awhile, but were constantly having problems with the circuit boards burning up... so now they literally don't even sell them. I love the idea of the power savings...but it isn't worth it for me if I can expect to have problems with the pump... Anyone have experience with this issue?

You can use a simple toggle switch to switch between high/low speed. No board to burn up. (Very cost effective compared to a Variable Speed motor when electric cost are less than $.30 KWH.

I see your going to be adding a SWCG, that's awsome, but you'll need to have the pump running for it to work. SWCG are great to maintain the chlorine level but not great to raise/shock (Use liquid chlorine to do that.) You'll be able to run your pump on low 90% of the time saving you money. The variable speed series of pumps add value when you have large power cost ($.40 KWH), otherwise two speed motors offer a better value.

There is no circuit board to burn up in a 2-speed pump :scratch: You just have a SPDT toggle switch. Some pumps come with the switch installed on the pump, or you can use a house 3-way switch remotely.

I like my Pentair Superflo 2-speed ... works well with my automation, although for a few months I just manually turned on high speed when I needed it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.