What's this waterbug? (pic)

This little bugger was really fast when in the water. He occasionally came up for air, and when I tried to slap him, he dove to the bottom. I finally got him with the net, and got a picture. He didn't fly away, and in fact acted helpless out of the water.

I keep my borates at 50, so not sure how to get rid of them other than fishing them out. This is the 3rd one I've seen this year. They also avoid the skimmer. Head to tail, about the size of a dime.

bug1.jpg

Jason M

Had my first backswimmer or boatman in the pool today :grrrr: :grrrr: It was in the skimmer, and for some reason kept coming back towards the basket when I'd dip it in. Finally caught the bugger in the basket, and dispatched him posthaste. This makes our 4th or 5th year with our pool, and this is the first one we've had. Thankfully, no bites. :goodjob:

Backswimmers and Water Boatmen are related but are not the same bug.

Backswimmer are predators and bite. Here's a link to an article in Wikipedia.

Water Boatmen are mostly herbivores, living down below the water surface on the bottom of ponds. This Wikipedia article says they're a food delicacy in Mexico. Oh yumm!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed last night that I am having backswimmers come into the pool when I have the light on. I couldn't figure out *what* they were and wondered if this is what I was seeing. I tell ya, I've lived in TN all my life and I'm seeing bugs I have never seen before! Fortunately, those backswimmers were in my skimmer this morning!! :lol: :lol:

I'm regularly attacked by wasps and hornets during the daylight hours. I've killed several with water noodles but they're quite fast and I'm bound to get stung soon. They seem to be a attracted to my short brown spiky hair when wet. At night with the light I've been getting 10's of red beetles and the usual dumb moths. Lots of bugs in general - this has been an adjustment for me.

Jason said:
This little bugger was really fast when in the water. He occasionally came up for air, and when I tried to slap him, he dove to the bottom. I finally got him with the net, and got a picture. He didn't fly away, and in fact acted helpless out of the water.

I keep my borates at 50, so not sure how to get rid of them other than fishing them out. This is the 3rd one I've seen this year. They also avoid the skimmer. Head to tail, about the size of a dime.

bug1.jpg

Jason M

Oh, that's Bob - I wondered where he went - could you please send him back to me? :lol:

Alright dang it...you guys have some splainin' to do!!! :lol: :lol: WHY do I have to share my pool at night with the spiders and your illegitimate (legitimate...yeah, whatevah! :lol: ) sons??? I have a few borates (I will be "measuring" tomorrow). I left the light off and the spiders, etc. still came. I turned it on so I could steer them to the skimmer! :twisted: I don't like bugs! Am I just going to have to "let it go"???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.