Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's this waterbug? (pic)

1. Back To Top    #1

What's this waterbug? (pic)

This little bugger was really fast when in the water. He occasionally came up for air, and when I tried to slap him, he dove to the bottom. I finally got him with the net, and got a picture. He didn't fly away, and in fact acted helpless out of the water.

I keep my borates at 50, so not sure how to get rid of them other than fishing them out. This is the 3rd one I've seen this year. They also avoid the skimmer. Head to tail, about the size of a dime.

Jason M
    15x30 AGP built myself in 2008: 3/4 hp 2-speed Waterway Supreme. 300 lb Pentair sand filter. 160 SqFT solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's this waterbug? (pic)

Hi Jason,

Enter "boatman" in your search (top, right, sub-header) and you will find several threads w/lots of pix and info!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am the waterbug! But I don't look like that............
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by waterbug
    I am the waterbug! But I don't look like that............
    Thank goodness!!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

They're predators, and can fly. Keep a clean pool, and eventually they'll leave looking for food

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    They're predators, and can fly. Keep a clean pool, and eventually they'll leave looking for food
    Thats good to know. Thanks!
    15x30 AGP built myself in 2008: 3/4 hp 2-speed Waterway Supreme. 300 lb Pentair sand filter. 160 SqFT solar.

7. Back To Top    #7

some types also will bite and it can really hurt!
    20 X 40, 28000 gal IG cement bottom, steel sides, vinyl liner, Pentair 4X160 pump, sand filter, SWG, Titan heat pump, coluorlogic and fiber optic. concrete-exposed aggregate deck
    1 skimmer, main drain, 4 returns ( 2 in stairs ) JEWEL LIKE WATER thanks to TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Had my first backswimmer or boatman in the pool today It was in the skimmer, and for some reason kept coming back towards the basket when I'd dip it in. Finally caught the bugger in the basket, and dispatched him posthaste. This makes our 4th or 5th year with our pool, and this is the first one we've had. Thankfully, no bites.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

9. Back To Top    #9

Backswimmers and Water Boatmen are related but are not the same bug.

Backswimmer are predators and bite. Here's a link to an article in Wikipedia.

Water Boatmen are mostly herbivores, living down below the water surface on the bottom of ponds. This Wikipedia article says they're a food delicacy in Mexico. Oh yumm!
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

10. Back To Top    #10

A few africanized bees and mud dauber wasps have committed suicide in my pool.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

I noticed last night that I am having backswimmers come into the pool when I have the light on. I couldn't figure out *what* they were and wondered if this is what I was seeing. I tell ya, I've lived in TN all my life and I'm seeing bugs I have never seen before! Fortunately, those backswimmers were in my skimmer this morning!!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Letro Platinum pressure side cleaner
    Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm regularly attacked by wasps and hornets during the daylight hours. I've killed several with water noodles but they're quite fast and I'm bound to get stung soon. They seem to be a attracted to my short brown spiky hair when wet. At night with the light I've been getting 10's of red beetles and the usual dumb moths. Lots of bugs in general - this has been an adjustment for me.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    This little bugger was really fast when in the water. He occasionally came up for air, and when I tried to slap him, he dove to the bottom. I finally got him with the net, and got a picture. He didn't fly away, and in fact acted helpless out of the water.

I keep my borates at 50, so not sure how to get rid of them other than fishing them out. This is the 3rd one I've seen this year. They also avoid the skimmer. Head to tail, about the size of a dime.

Jason M
    Oh, that's Bob - I wondered where he went - could you please send him back to me?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by waste

Oh, that's Bob - I wondered where he went - could you please send him back to me?
    Your illegitimate son?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Quote Originally Posted by waste

Your illegitimate son?
    NO!! - we were married when he was conceived
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

16. Back To Top    #16

Alright dang it...you guys have some splainin' to do!!! WHY do I have to share my pool at night with the spiders and your illegitimate (legitimate...yeah, whatevah! ) sons??? I have a few borates (I will be "measuring" tomorrow). I left the light off and the spiders, etc. still came. I turned it on so I could steer them to the skimmer! I don't like bugs! Am I just going to have to "let it go"???
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Letro Platinum pressure side cleaner
    Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers