How to tell you have a leak

Jun 7, 2008
Maryland
I have been struggling the past 2-3 weeks to maintain my water level above the skimmers.
Last fall we had the pool closed by the local Pool Store since they were installing a safety net.

I am adding 2-3 inches of water 2-3 times a week so about 4-6 inches per week.
I have a fairly large 55k pool so I figure this is a decent drop.
The local temp has only been in the mid 80's and overcast at least the past few days since my last refill.

How can I tell if there is a leak?
I have called the PS and they are sending over a tech after getting snotty telling me there was no way they did anything wrong.

They are very busy which I understand and can not send someone over for 2-3 weeks.

I can call someone else in to check on them but is there anyway I can detect a leak myself?

Is this normal water loss?
Pool has only been used twice so far

55k,

You can do the "bucket test" whereby you determine if you have a leak or it's simply evaporation. So take a bucket and place it in the pool where it can stay over night (like a step) and fill the bucket up to the same level as the surrounding pool water. In the morning check the bucket; if the water level is the same then you probably don't have a leak. However, if the level in the bucket is higher than the surrounding pool water, you probably have a leak.

Good luck.

Adam

If you're losing inches per week like that, you have a leak. The first place to look for the leak is probably in the skimmer throat. The plastic housing around the skimmer can separate from the tile/grout of the throat. I had a leak there in my pool and was losing about 3/4" a day to it. A little research showed me that a very significant majority of pool leaks are at that point, so it's a good place to start your search.

As you may have figured I do have a leak.
The guys stopped by this morning saying they were doing a SWG install nearby.

They agree there is a leak and possibly two.
They feel the main leak is behind the light, in the electrical conduit.

They stated they did not remove or even tough the light so there is no liability on their part.
OK I am not sure if removing the light is req'd for winterizing a pool so I can not debate that with them.

The also feel their may be a small leak either in the skimmer box or return line.
When asked if this was their fault, "Could this be a result of water being left in here?" they said they do not want to say for sure there is a leak until I pay them to fix the light leak, which they didn't have time to do today and needed to send over another guy.

In fairness they didn't word it this way just said they have to fix this one first.

So do you guys think I should bring in a 3rd party to check for leaks and tell me if the original PS has any liability?

The funny thing behind this story is they took a long time closing the pool after agreeing to teach my wife and I how to close it properly. I mean we were out there with pen and paper taking notes. They were great it going the extra mile to ensure we have all questions answered.

I hate to pin this on them, who knows maybe the Crud just happens it just their first response yesterday and even this morning was very short and snotty like they were the victim, know what I mean.

At this point we are not accusing, being inpolite, even agreed to continue to fill the pool for the weeks it would take for them to show up.

55k said:
As you may have figured I do have a leak.
The guys stopped by this morning saying they were doing a SWG install nearby.

They agree there is a leak and possibly two.
They feel the main leak is behind the light, in the electrical conduit.

They stated they did not remove or even tough the light so there is no liability on their part.
OK I am not sure if removing the light is req'd for winterizing a pool so I can not debate that with them.
We don't remove lights at any of the companies I've worked for when winterizing, though I know some companies do. Removing the light wouldn't have helped if the conduit broke

The also feel their may be a small leak either in the skimmer box or return line.
When asked if this was their fault, "Could this be a result of water being left in here?" they said they do not want to say for sure there is a leak until I pay them to fix the light leak, which they didn't have time to do today and needed to send over another guy.

In fairness they didn't word it this way just said they have to fix this one first.

So do you guys think I should bring in a 3rd party to check for leaks and tell me if the original PS has any liability?
If the conduit broke, it's really no one's fault, If I were you, I'd use some 2 part epoxy putty to seal the conduit behind the light and see if the pool is still losing water -(if you need a little info on doing this, just ask and I'll tell you how to do it :)

The funny thing behind this story is they took a long time closing the pool after agreeing to teach my wife and I how to close it properly. I mean we were out there with pen and paper taking notes. They were great it going the extra mile to ensure we have all questions answered.

I hate to pin this on them, who knows maybe the Crud just happens it just their first response yesterday and even this morning was very short and snotty like they were the victim, know what I mean.

At this point we are not accusing, being inpolite, even agreed to continue to fill the pool for the weeks it would take for them to show up.

Try sealing the conduit yourself and see what happens, we'll be here to help you with any pool questions/ issues you may encounter :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.