Raypak vs Hayward Titanium heat pump (and Raypak Warranty in Canada)

Hi guys...I'm new to the site and appreciate the wealth of knowledge here! I've done some reading but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I'm putting in a 27' above ground pool this spring and am trying to decide what to buy for a heat pump. I'm down to 2 choices...the Hayward Heat Pro 110000 BTU or the Raypak Standard 117K BTU Digital Heat Pump. I can get them both online for about the exact same price...and both the warranties look about the same. The Raypak is 7000BTU more....and supposedly a bit more efficient (Hayward COP 5.8 and the Raypak 6.2). My pump and filter system will be Hayward, if that makes any difference (1.5HP pump with sand filter). I'm leaning toward the Raypak buy my main concern is if the warranty will be valid in Canada if I purchase it online from the states. It seems like Rheem is saying they don't honor any warranty if the product is bought online (which seems crazy to me)...I've sent them an email about it, but haven't heard anything back yet.
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to tfp, coreyadam :wave:

I don't have a good answer for your question, hopefully someone who does will answer soon.

I am wondering where you live (what climate) and why you are choosing a heatpump over a gas heater (or solar for that matter).

Hi....thanks for the welcome! I live on east coast of Canada...Fredericton, NB. We have quite hot (but very short) summers. I'm looking to gain around a month on each end of my swimming season as well as supplement the natural heat during the regular swimming season.
I chose a heatpump mainly for the cost savings in usage. There is natural gas in my neighborhood but not on my property...and I believe it would be substantially more expensive to use propane or natural gas....I think I'll save money in the long term

The problem with heatpumps in your area (and mine) is that they tend to be less and less efficient as the ambient temp decreases. My thought is that a gas heater may be a better choice for you, since you can turn it on a few hours before swimming then turn it off.

No problem on posting it here, it still will get seen.

I sell a lot of heat pumps for inground auto covered pools. Wouldn't consider one on an aboveground. Not sure it will overcome nightly heatloss. The big three equipment manufacturers have changed there warranty policies on equipment sold over the net. Raypak-Rheem may have also.

Thanks for the reply. ..I know a few people here that use heat pumps for their above grounds with great results. I will be using a solar blanket every night. I won't be using it much in cool weather. .. and not at all in freezing weather. .. our summer is actually quite hot here. ..I just want to supplement the heat when I need during the regular season and gain a few weeks on each end. ..

- - - Updated - - -

The three big manufacturers have changed their warranty policy in what way? For better or worse?

But what you are describing is not what a heat pump does. Heat pumps need to be set to a constant temperature and then run all the time because they heat slowly. Those few weeks on each end will be the colder weeks, heat pump less efficient, slower, much more expensive. You won't be supplementing heat, you will pretty much set a temperature and hopefully it will keep it there. A gas/propane type heater is much better if you just want to warm it up a little bit.

Thanks for the reply. ..I know a few people here that use heat pumps for their above grounds with great results. I will be using a solar blanket every night. I won't be using it much in cool weather. .. and not at all in freezing weather. .. our summer is actually quite hot here. ..I just want to supplement the heat when I need during the regular season and gain a few weeks on each end. ..

- - - Updated - - -

The three big manufacturers have changed their warranty policy in what way? For better or worse?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just attended a 2 day Pentair tech/service school and we were told that anything purchased off of the internet has a 60 day warranty from Pentair and had to be warrantied through the seller not through warranty centers. If you can find an authorized service center to do the install it changes to a 1 year warranty. If it is bought from and installed by an authorized center it is minimum of 1 year. In my situation I can do 3 year warranty. They told that the big three had all gone to similar warranties.

Ok...so I finally spoke with a representative from Raypak Canada today. He confirmed that my warranty would be COMPLETELY void if I buy in the states and install it in Canada....he said it's not even authorized for use in Canada if bought in the states. I think that's ridiculous as it's the exact same machine (I assume)...but at least my question was answered. Unfortunate because I could have gotten it for $2500 with free shipping from inyopools.com and the cheapest I've found the same one in Canada so far is on sale for $3400 Plus shipping!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.