Wierd Test results.

Jun 29, 2007
Oklahoma
I have been having problems with cloudiness and started noticing a bit of green. My PH has been running constantly high(8.3) and my TA started at 260. CYA = 40. I decided to shock the pool to clear up the water. I also was trying to bring down the PH and TA. I've been adding bleach keeping it at 16ppm or a little above. Last night I added 6 pounds of PH down to lower PH & TA. Last night TA was 210.

This morning when I tried to test the FAS/DPD & TA (using TR-100 kit) the tests acted wierd. FAS/DPD calls for a heaping spoon of the powder(R-870, I think, don't have kit at work with me) to turn sample pink. I put in the heaping spoon and nothing happens. I add another spoonful and it changes to pink. I finish the test and it shows I have 25 FC and 0CC. Then I try the TA test. I add the 2 drops of (R007, I think I may have the numbers wrong here, but I followed the instructions exactly) Then I added the 5 drops of green(r008?). The sample turns kind of blue-green. I then start adding the clear drops(R009?) the sample never even tries to turn red. It gets bluer then eventually turns yellow. It's never acted this way for either test before. Can anyone tell me what I've done?

Thanks!

GuestToo said:
It gets bluer then eventually turns yellow. It's never acted this way for either test before. Can anyone tell me what I've done?

Thanks!

There is a "NOTE" at the bottom of the directions that says: "In the presence of high chlorine, initial color may be blue and shift to yellow. Test is still valid"

That should answer that question, someone else will have to answer the first.

Both of those are caused by high FC levels and are not a problem. You just add more powder till the sample turns pink, except when FC is zero it will never turn pink. The TA test runs till it changes color, red or yellow doesn't matter.

You should try to never let your PH get that high. Ideally you should keep PH at 7.8 or lower.

I realize the PH is a bad thing. I've added muriatic acid to bring it down and it keeps going back up. I switched to PH down trying to bring the TA down also. I'm not sure what else to do except keep adding PH down and see where that takes me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.