Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wierd Test results.

1. Back To Top    #1

Wierd Test results.

I have been having problems with cloudiness and started noticing a bit of green. My PH has been running constantly high(8.3) and my TA started at 260. CYA = 40. I decided to shock the pool to clear up the water. I also was trying to bring down the PH and TA. I've been adding bleach keeping it at 16ppm or a little above. Last night I added 6 pounds of PH down to lower PH & TA. Last night TA was 210.

This morning when I tried to test the FAS/DPD & TA (using TR-100 kit) the tests acted wierd. FAS/DPD calls for a heaping spoon of the powder(R-870, I think, don't have kit at work with me) to turn sample pink. I put in the heaping spoon and nothing happens. I add another spoonful and it changes to pink. I finish the test and it shows I have 25 FC and 0CC. Then I try the TA test. I add the 2 drops of (R007, I think I may have the numbers wrong here, but I followed the instructions exactly) Then I added the 5 drops of green(r008?). The sample turns kind of blue-green. I then start adding the clear drops(R009?) the sample never even tries to turn red. It gets bluer then eventually turns yellow. It's never acted this way for either test before. Can anyone tell me what I've done?

Thanks!
    --Guest Too
    IG liner, Sand Filter, Polaris 360, 18x36 oval, 29,000 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wierd Test results.

Quote Originally Posted by GuestToo
    It gets bluer then eventually turns yellow. It's never acted this way for either test before. Can anyone tell me what I've done?

Thanks!
    There is a "NOTE" at the bottom of the directions that says: "In the presence of high chlorine, initial color may be blue and shift to yellow. Test is still valid"

That should answer that question, someone else will have to answer the first.
    Jacuzzi 12x24 Oval AG 48" about 7500G
    Jacuzzi Maxiplus 190 sand
    Sta-rite/aquatools 2 speed 1HP (JWP series)
    Intex 8110 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Both of those are caused by high FC levels and are not a problem. You just add more powder till the sample turns pink, except when FC is zero it will never turn pink. The TA test runs till it changes color, red or yellow doesn't matter.

You should try to never let your PH get that high. Ideally you should keep PH at 7.8 or lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I realize the PH is a bad thing. I've added muriatic acid to bring it down and it keeps going back up. I switched to PH down trying to bring the TA down also. I'm not sure what else to do except keep adding PH down and see where that takes me.
    --Guest Too

5. Back To Top    #5

Muriatic acid is both more effective and less expensive than dry acid, though the fumes can be annoying.

Your PH is rising so quickly because your TA level is too high. You should take a look at the Pool School article on lowering TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! I felt like something like that was happening but I hadn't found the post about how to lower your TA.

Thanks again!!!
    --Guest Too