Wedding cake steps

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
We are purchasing new steps for our pool and are looking at the wedding cake steps. I see where there is a pad to go under them but there are 2 different sizes, do we need a pad and if so , do we order the 2x3 or the 4x5, the dimensions of the steps are 57w x 45d.

Thanks for any input!

I have similar steps, not the wedding cake ones. I don't have a pad but I am considering getting one. My liner below the steps is becoming indented from the steps and I think if I let it go longer I may have some leaking issues. I would recommend getting one. Just a word of warning with wedding cakes steps or similar: My steps don't get very good water circulation under them which tends to collect debris and algae.

I have the wedding cake steps(actually, I think they are wedding cake II) without a pad and they are no problem with the liner. They are pretty big and spread out so I don't think too much weight is ever put on one particular spot of the liner from them. I don't think you would really need the pad--sounds like a way for someone to make more money off of you, but I could be wrong. You will LOVE having them in your APG. I can't imagine NOT having these in mine. I think the ladder lasted less then a month for us before we switched.

Last year when we put our pool up we didn't do the pad. Right about the time we wanted to close the pool for the winter, we noticed the ground getting wet around the side of the pool the steps were at. For over a week we looked and couldn't find the leak.

Called PS even though we were past our 60 day installation warranty and they sent someone out to find our"two" leaks. One was right at where we had the steps (had already taken them out) and the other was about where the waterline usually is (assuming kids toys on that one).

This year we bought the pad. We had to buy the bigger one. The smaller one doesn't cover where both "feet" hit. We do need to trim as I'm not sure how the auto vac will handle going over the pad that isn't covered by the steps and when I do my normal vacumn, it likes to suck it up.

You may not have to buy the PS pad, but I got tired of looking for something that 1. would fit, 2. look nice and 3. something that would be okay with pool chemistry.

One of our dogs launches himself off the wedding cake steps when he retrieves his toys. We were concerned about the possible rubbing on the liner. Instead of buying the pad from a pool store we got an old yoga mat, for free, from the yoga teacher at the gym. We cut two small rectangles and placed them under the front of the steps where there was the most pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.