Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wedding cake steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Wedding cake steps

We are purchasing new steps for our pool and are looking at the wedding cake steps. I see where there is a pad to go under them but there are 2 different sizes, do we need a pad and if so , do we order the 2x3 or the 4x5, the dimensions of the steps are 57w x 45d.

Thanks for any input!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wedding cake steps

I have similar steps, not the wedding cake ones. I don't have a pad but I am considering getting one. My liner below the steps is becoming indented from the steps and I think if I let it go longer I may have some leaking issues. I would recommend getting one. Just a word of warning with wedding cakes steps or similar: My steps don't get very good water circulation under them which tends to collect debris and algae.
    BBBB?-Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax, BEER!
    18' x 33' x 54" AG Pool, Vinyl Liner
    17,700 Gal
    Pump: Baquapure Workhorse Superflow, 2.5HP, 2 Spd
    Filter: Baquapure High Rate Sand Filter, 26 inch
    Baquapure Water Polishing System

Proud new Papa of a Pool Rover Junior! Born 6/20/08

3. Back To Top    #3

The one we are looking at have "feet" for lack of a better work to allow circulation under the steps... that is why I was concerned about the liner if I didn't get the pad
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the wedding cake steps(actually, I think they are wedding cake II) without a pad and they are no problem with the liner. They are pretty big and spread out so I don't think too much weight is ever put on one particular spot of the liner from them. I don't think you would really need the pad--sounds like a way for someone to make more money off of you, but I could be wrong. You will LOVE having them in your APG. I can't imagine NOT having these in mine. I think the ladder lasted less then a month for us before we switched.
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Last year when we put our pool up we didn't do the pad. Right about the time we wanted to close the pool for the winter, we noticed the ground getting wet around the side of the pool the steps were at. For over a week we looked and couldn't find the leak.

Called PS even though we were past our 60 day installation warranty and they sent someone out to find our"two" leaks. One was right at where we had the steps (had already taken them out) and the other was about where the waterline usually is (assuming kids toys on that one).

This year we bought the pad. We had to buy the bigger one. The smaller one doesn't cover where both "feet" hit. We do need to trim as I'm not sure how the auto vac will handle going over the pad that isn't covered by the steps and when I do my normal vacumn, it likes to suck it up.

You may not have to buy the PS pad, but I got tired of looking for something that 1. would fit, 2. look nice and 3. something that would be okay with pool chemistry.
    ~_~ Sherry ~_~
    24' Round AGP, 13,500gal, 1.5hp Hayward
    Cartridge
    TF100 Test Kit BBB Baby!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

One of our dogs launches himself off the wedding cake steps when he retrieves his toys. We were concerned about the possible rubbing on the liner. Instead of buying the pad from a pool store we got an old yoga mat, for free, from the yoga teacher at the gym. We cut two small rectangles and placed them under the front of the steps where there was the most pressure.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

7. Back To Top    #7

This was very helpful....I am going to install my Wedding Cake step this week and just look for pressure points and pad with an old yoga mat.

Thanks for posting
    Pool Newbie
    14,500 GAL AG Vinyl Lomart
    15' x 30' Oval
    Hayward sand filter,1 hp pump