Stuck Skimmer Basket

Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
Hello Everyone,

I have the skimmer type that has the basket that floats up and down with the water level and am in need of a solution to a problem. The floating section tends to get stuck in the "up" position if we get a lot of turbulance in the pool such as playing, heavy winds, or if the water level gets too high. When it sticks, the skimmer starts sucking air because the water level is below the floating section.
Has anyone else had this problem and found a good solution?
Thanks.

Ironically, I had the same issue yesterday for the first time. By chance, is your pool a Foxx?

If yours is like mine, there is a set of lower and upper tabs on the floating part of the basket and you have to turn it in series to take it on and off the skimmer basket. It seemed like mine had turned and gotten stuck on one of the tabs so you might check that out to see if it's the cause of your problem.

I remember the PB telling me during the installation that some of his customers filed down the lower set of tabs to simplify the removal of this part of the basket. I wonder if this problem also prompted them to do that.

In my limited experience, it does seem that the floating part creates a nice vortex for funneling stuff into the basket so I'm curious about your thoughts on this. Also, do you use skimmer socks and, if so, do you apply them to the floating part or in some other fashion? I tried the socks recently but it seemed to affect the flow into the skimmer so I removed them. I plan to regroup and try again so any input would be appreciated?

I didn't mean to hijack your thread with another topic. We can gladly discuss in a seperate thread if you wish.

Thanks,

Kevin

TarheelPool said:
Ironically, I had the same issue yesterday for the first time. By chance, is your pool a Foxx?

If yours is like mine, there is a set of lower and upper tabs on the floating part of the basket and you have to turn it in series to take it on and off the skimmer basket. It seemed like mine had turned and gotten stuck on one of the tabs so you might check that out to see if it's the cause of your problem.

I remember the PB telling me during the installation that some of his customers filed down the lower set of tabs to simplify the removal of this part of the basket. I wonder if this problem also prompted them to do that.

In my limited experience, it does seem that the floating part creates a nice vortex for funneling stuff into the basket so I'm curious about your thoughts on this. Also, do you use skimmer socks and, if so, do you apply them to the floating part or in some other fashion? I tried the socks recently but it seemed to affect the flow into the skimmer so I removed them. I plan to regroup and try again so any input would be appreciated?

I didn't mean to hijack your thread with another topic. We can gladly discuss in a seperate thread if you wish.

Thanks,

Kevin
No problem Kevin!
Yes it is a Foxx pool and your skimmer basket sounds exactly like mine. It appears to get caught on the top tabs so I don't think filing off the bottom tabs will help.
I was thinking about cutting a slot in the floating part and then using a stainless steel pin and clasp to keep it from going to high and getting stuck unless someone has a better idea.
No I don't use skimmer socks but I add a little DE to my sand filter which works pretty good.
Bruce

Brittmer,

Did you come up with a fix for the skimmer basket? In the last week or so, the upper piece of one of my baskets has gotten stuck several times. I've resorted to taking them out when we swim since it only seems to happen when the water is getting lots of wake.

Thanks,

Kevin

I have the same baskets in my FOXX pool. Mine are about 8 or 9 years old and I was wondering if you knew where I might buy new ones and what they cost. I think the plastic has dried out some and that is what is causing them to stick every once in a while.

TarheelPool said:
Brittmer,

Did you come up with a fix for the skimmer basket? In the last week or so, the upper piece of one of my baskets has gotten stuck several times. I've resorted to taking them out when we swim since it only seems to happen when the water is getting lots of wake.

Thanks,

Kevin

No...I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I have resorted to just taking the floating piece off for now.

I finally got around to fixing the skimmer basket. I took a diamond cutting blade for a Dremal tool and used it in my cordless drill to cut a slot in the portion of the basket that floats. Then I just put a pin through it with a washer and clip. The slot doen't allow the the floating basket to go high enough to get stuck. I used zinc coated hardware thinking that it wouldn't rust but it does. I will have to get stainless steel hardware. Here are a couple of pictures.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.