Florida's Construction Lien Law

Drewskii

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
South Florida
Walking up the steep slope of preparing a construction contract for an in-ground pool in Florida, I encountered Florida's Construction Lien Law. I am not a lawyer, however I have been a general building contractor for many years and have some practical experience with lien laws, albeit not in Florida.

When a Florida Mechanics Lien is filed with regard to work performed on privately owned property, it attaches to and encumbers the fee simple ownership of property.

Contractors, as well as subcontractors, laborers, certain design professionals, sub-subcontractors and material suppliers can file a Florida mechanics lien.

Florida Construction Lien Law is codified in Title XL, Chapter 713 of Florida Statutes and designed to provide a legal cage in which the parties can slug it out over who was or was not paid by whomever.

I know.... your eyes are glazing over.

The purpose of this post is to direct Florida homeowners to a website, Lien Defense, that will unravel the law and protect you, your home, and your pool. Florida contractors could also benefit from the site.

http://www.liendefense.net/

Some notes:

If you are not building a pool in Florida, don't use the site above for advice. Instead, find a site like the one above for your state.

I have absolutely no connection with the website above other than sending them a thank you email.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.