High Chlorine Consumption from blossoms?

I am having some high chlorine consumption, about 3ppm per day. I have been doing a SLAM for 3 days now, and the consumption is not going down. I am beginning to think it may be consumption for other reasons. To provide some background:

1) I had the pool reverse osmosis treated last week. The CYA was reduced from 300 ppm to 31 ppm. I don't think this is a cause, but mention it in case.

2) Our neighbor has two large trees which are covered in a whitish blossom much of which is falling at the moment. A lot of this is getting in the pool. On a windy day I estimate I had more than 1/2 a pound (dry weight) of blossoms fall into the pool. I don't know if these could be accounting for the high consumption.

3) Water temperature is around 54 degrees.

4) Water looks very clear

5) CC is small, less than 0.5 ppm.

Unfortunately the blossoms started to fall about the same time I had the RO treatment, so it is hard to separate causes.

Is it reasonable the blossoms are causing the high chlorine consumption?

Thank you!

Any organics in the water will consume chlorine. If you are getting a lot of tree debris, that could be the problem. Also at the lower CYA level you will lose more to the sun.

As long as the water stays clear and you keep the FC at an acceptable level for the CYA, you should be fine.

Reactions: JamesW
RO system usually has activated carbon filter upstream of the RO membrane. Activated carbon does capture Chlorine.
RO membrane does not tolerate cholrine well, depending on type of RO membrane
If pool treatment, the RO membrane is very likely brackish water type.

My friends pool when in windy season and his leaves drop to the overflow gutter ( unknown because it has wooden blocks as floor ) will consume more chlorine and his pool is rather big at 58,000 gallons, so chlorine buffer is high but still the leaves caused higher chlorine consumption. I can see the leaves being eaten by chlorine.

Thank you for the replies. It looks like the blossoms were the cause. Wednesday night was still and few blossoms fell in the pool => no chlorine consumption (actually the FC reading increased, which I guess is due to temperature effects, warm evening vs. cold morning). Last night we had rain which stopped the blossoms and again no chlorine consumption (again the FC went up overnight). So I plan to go back to my normal routine apart from extra cleaning when required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.