O-ring Lubricant

Dabby

Aug 16, 2010
Saginaw, TX
I have a Hayward cartridge filter that is seeping water at the middle rim. I have read several places that state the o-ring needs to be lubricated with a silicone-based lubricant. The manual that came with the filter says not to lubricate the o-ring. I am confused. Should I lubricate it or not?

...and I use the teflon "pool lube". Either will work fine...just don't use a petroleum-based lubricant or it will destroy the o-ring.

I know it has big letters that say petroleum jelly on Vaseline but I've used it on a ton of O rings with no adverse affects , , , but none were for a pool. I'm getting ready to replace the sand and O rings in my filter and would normally just use Vaseline. Does it have an adverse effect on the rubber they use in pool equipment ??

It depends on the type of o-ring material, but petroleum jelly will cause common rubber o-rings to swell. A sign of its use is when you open a valve up and the o-ring jumps out and will not seem to fit back into the grove where it belongs.

Ike

I just hate to buy another chemical but I believe and I'd rather do it right. I was even a little sorry to ask but I'm glad I did as going with silicone is likely better for my automotive applications as well.
Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.