noise/change when I change setting on my filter

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
ontario, canada
I honestly can't believe I'm having another problem right now, but...
When I turned my filter setting from filter to backwash it made a strange almost grinding noise for a quick second and then it just felt like it wasn't catching as I turned it. The settings do change to what I've set it for (ie. filter, backwash, rinse) but it just doesn't feel right as I do it. Also, when the back wash was running the output was irregular where the hose would go flat every few seconds.
Is this the spider gasket that causes that, and if so...I know nothing about this part other than the name.
Hoping someone could help me out yet again.
Thanks

On first read, I took it to say the pump made the noise. You could have just gotten something under the handle. Make sure you depress the handle fully when turning. If it doesn't straighten out soon, you might have to pull the valve off to see if the gasket is damaged.

The issue with backwashing really sounds more like the way a pump acts when it can't stay primed. Is the basket full when it does it?

The basket was clean when it was happening. It only happened during the backwash cycle, it's not occuring during filtering or rinsing. I'm pretty good about using it carefully and making sure it's down all the way and only using it while the pump is off.
Thanks

survey77777 said:
The basket was clean when it was happening. It only happened during the backwash cycle, it's not occuring during filtering or rinsing. I'm pretty good about using it carefully and making sure it's down all the way and only using it while the pump is off.
Thanks

I meant to ask if the basket was full of water. If it was sucking air, that could explain the surging in the backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.