New 2 speed pump

Feb 24, 2008
I'm restoring a 16x32 inground pool, lived here 10 plus years & never did anything to the pool. Three months of hard work & I'm almost done. the pool was measured for the liner today & will be installed in about 2 weeks. (I'll post pics when its done) Anyway, I am getting a hayward 24" sand filter an need to pick a pump. I also was leaning toward a Hayward 1 1/2 hp 2 speed but which is the best buy vs. performance & electrical savings? Max Flo, super or super II. The reason I want a 1 1/2 hp is I plan on a solar heater next year & will need to push the water 15 ft. or so to the roof and maybe an automatic cleaner. I'd like to stay in the price range of $500.00 or so (budget permitting).
Thanks in advance
Anthony

pool specs
16x32 IG 17,000 gal.
3' to 6' depth
all 1 1/2" plumbing
1 skimmer inlet
2 returns
no bottom drain

Nearly any pump on the market today will be able to prime solar panels at 15 feet so that should not be a consideration so go with the smallest pump possible.

The Superpump II is a more efficient pump that the Superpump but not by a lot (5-10%). When comparing the two, just make sure you compare the braking HP of the pumps and not the labeled HP. For example, the 1 1/2 HP max rated Superpump is closer to the 1 HP max rate Superpump II in terms of power and energy consumption.

Responce to PM question:

First, you might want to read the sticky that I wrote some time ago that is here:

http://troublefreepools.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Also, I have a pump basics paper in the pool school section that might be helpful. Both explain some of the tradeoffs with pumps and the hydraulics sticky explains how to read pump head curves and what they mean.

Next take a look at this web site which shows the performance of the superpump:

http://www.poolplaza.com/Super-Pump-techspecs.shtml

As you can see, all of the pumps have a maximum head of well over 15 feet. This means that any of the pumps will raise the water that much and much more so 15 ft is not a problem for any pump.

Now look at the low speed performance. All will also be able to lift water to 15 at low speed although at a much lower flow rate. Most panels require 40-60 GPM for top efficiency so low speed, although possible, will not give you enough flow for an efficient solar panel.

In the hydraulics sticky, it expains what happens a low speed of a two speed pump but basically, the flow rate is halved and the effective HP is 1/8 of full speed. Head loss is about 1/4 of full speed.

[EDIT] One addition thing I neglected to mention was that pump HP choice is dependent on several things but primarily on the maximum desired flow rate. While the 1/2 HP superpump may be able to prime the panels, the resultant flow rate may not be enough for efficient solar panel use. Here are examples of flow rates for 1 1/2" plumbing and various HP for the Superpump:

1/2 HP - 35 GPM
3/4 HP - 38 GPM
1 HP - 42 GPM
1 1/2 HP - 45 GPM
2 HP - 50 GPM

Your flow rates may be different but this gives you an idea of how they change with HP. Also, the Superpump II will have higher flow rates for each of the pump HP.

So 1 1/2 HP would be more than enough flow rate and the 3/4 HP would be the minimum that you would want for solar but it depends on the panel requirements.

What is your current filter pressure and pump HP/SF and/or model ?

Also, how long are the runs from pool to pad?

And, are there separate pipes from pool to pad for each return or are they both fed off the same pipe run?

Thanks for the response Mark. I'm going to read your Hydraulics post tonight but wanted to answer your questions now.

I'm not sure what the pressure was in the old pump/ filter combo, the pool was not usable when I moved here ten years ago.

The piping is as follows:
2 returns, one at 37' and the other at 53'
1 suction at 45'
the returns are separate to the pad
each of the three runs have three 90 deg. fittings in it to the pad. The pipies are sticking up right now so I don't about the plumbing at the filter/pump
all plumbing is 1 1/2"
the pool holds about 17,000 gal
The filter is not here yet but will be a Hayward sand 24" (H244T model)

I should have more insight after read your post, looks like you covered everything in it.

Thanks again Mark
Anthony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.