Freeze Protector and Hayward Aqua Plus System

Sep 22, 2013
Hi There

So I live in Charlotte, NC. It doesnt get below freezing here much, but its snowed tonight. The last two nights its been below freezing, and the freeze protector kicked in just fine. Tonight it snowed 2 inches, and the freeze protector did not kick in. In my PJs at 10 at night, I noticed that the pump did not go on so I took a look at my system. It was so cold, the lettering in the digital space was hardly readable. I manually pushed on the filter, but my question is why did the freeze protector not kick on? I did notice there was a "check system" red light on. Could that be it? If so, how do I reset that? Also, if thats the issue do I need to check that constantly? I dont want to pay for a pool service to come out and just hit the reset button and charge me $100.

I cant drain my pool during the winter since its fiberglass, and I have a mesh safety cover thats bolted into the ground. Should I invest in a non mesh one? I find that Im still having to make sure my chemicals are aligned even in the winter. Adding chlorine every other week.

Thanks for your help!

BV

My bet would be that the error caused the freeze protection not to initiate. I would call hayward and ask them about it. I would think that the freeze protection should come on regardless of an error on anything except the pump itself.

When it gets that cold, I would just drain the pad equipment. The pool takes many days to freeze over so you really need to be in northern climates before that is an issue. Also, unless your nights are so cold where is stays below freezing for more than 8 hours, you may not need freeze protection at all but it is local climate dependent.

There are many on this forum that have depended on freeze protection only to find out that it had failed them so I think people are much better off not depending on it.

I like to think of freeze protect as a back up safety net, living in a similar climate I just always try to make sure the pump is manually set to run constantly when it is going to freeze. Sure this wastes some electricity, but I think of it much the way dripping a faucet wastes water in the freeze, just a cost of living.I have experienced a failure on a temperature sensor during the summer on my solar pool heater (started reading about 10 degrees off) and don't want the same on a freeze sensor. I hope all is well with your pipes this time, and you caught it soon enough.

Ike

Hmmm, I posted a response and after hitting post quick reply it disappeared...Anyway...

Is the panel in service mode? The button does light up red when in service mode.

We don't get long spells of cold here but when it's going to get close to freezing I turn the pump to low for the night to be on the safe side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.