Jandy Aquapure 1400...How fast will it boost the chlorine levels?

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We finally hit 51 degrees in the pool today so I wanted to boost the chlorine before it cools back down. If I run it at 100% will I get enough chlorine in a few hours to make a difference? I am just wondering if I should leave it on or turn it off until temps are consistent.

Actually it would be more effort to go buy more than to use the system. I am just not sure if it is ok for it to kick on and off as it goes above and below 50 degrees. I was told that 50 is when it stops working. I just didn't know if I could leave it on when the temp is too low or if it would mess something up. If I could leave it on and have it operate during the day when temps rise above 50 that would be great, but is a few hours at 100% going to be enough? I would think so.

Well, at best it can produce 1.25 lbs of chlorine per day, that is 12ppm in your pool.
So, running on 100% will add 0.5ppm FC per hour at best performance (not likely at these low temps)

Adding one 121oz bottle of 8.25% chlorine will add 6.4ppm FC in a few minutes.

Thanks, Jason. That is the best info I have found yet. It's cold enough that algae hasn't grown yet, but it will soon as it starts warming up more. If I can get a little bit in each day I should be able to stay ahead of it. I tossed a couple pucks in the floaters just in case. I should know all about this SWG set up by now, but it's been nothing but problematic getting it operating correctly.

Thanks, Jason. That is the best info I have found yet. It's cold enough that algae hasn't grown yet, but it will soon as it starts warming up more. If I can get a little bit in each day I should be able to stay ahead of it. I tossed a couple pucks in the floaters just in case. I should know all about this SWG set up by now, but it's been nothing but problematic getting it operating correctly.

if you want to boost, you don't turn the chlorinator up, that will just burn up your cell quickly. Would you rather spend 5 bucks to boost your chlorine or 50 when you burn a 1/4 of your cell up?

Why spend $5 for chlorine when I have a chlorine generator? The system actually has a boost function which runs it at 100% for 24hrs. It is a normally used function so I don't see how running it at 100% for a few hours each day is going to burn the cell up. I just wanted to make sure that it turning on and off because of low temps wouldn't hurt anything. In just a couple weeks the water temps will be constantly above 50 even at night so I will have no need to keep chlorine on hand like i normally do during the winter.

What you are proposing should be fine ... if it generates enough FC (which is a big if).
SWGs are slow to add FC, thus our recommendation to always use bleach if you need a quick boost ... even in the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.