Can I sit my 18' Intex Metal frame pool on a wood platform?

Jan 28, 2014
I tried searching for the answer before posting but didn't find anything...so I apologize if this has been asked before. I also looked on the internet and couldn't find anything.

This is our first pool and don't know if we will be committed to the long term of having a more permanent one. We will be taking down the pool for the fall/winter. Since we are taking it down, I would like for the platform to be used as a place to also hang out when not in the pool without having to actually build a deck around the pool. I would also like to use the platform as a "patio" for our fire pit for the fall.

Is this possible? The platform would just barely be off the ground. It would almost be pallet like (but more stable).

Thanks for your help!

Your pool weighs about 50,000 lbs so a deck that would hold it up would have to be very substantial. That's about 300lbs/sqft. You could probably pour a concrete deck for less than you could build a wooden deck that substantial.

Can I use sand under the pool and landscape around it, then when I take the pool down sit the fire pit in the middle of the sand and chairs/benches around?

Is this possible?

I'm trying to think of a way to make it look nice in the off season and not weird without the pool sitting there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe even build a frame around the sand to hold it in place ... or, build a wood frame and fill it with stabilized decomposed granite that you get wet and it will harden. Or a combination of both with a thin layer of sand over the granite.

For the pool you want to ensure that it is very level.

If you have kids under 12 yoa or so, i bet you'd find you love having a big concrete pad when the pool is down. Our neighborhood kids come in droves to our yard and play either on the playset or the concrete. Seldom do they do stuff in the grass. The younger the kid the better - trikes, EZ Rollers (look them up), scooters, four square, remote control cars, Rip Racers (great fun once tall enough, about 5 or 6 yoa).

@jblizzle and @pwrstrk: Could I use bendable landscape edging to separate landscaping and sand? Like this: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

@crek31: A concrete foundation may be possible next summer. We just built and moved in to our new home this past May, so we are working on building our savings back up.

Also - my husband is a little anti-pool right now. But I was pretty much given this pool and a SWG so I'm trying to make it a simple yet nice summer project (and show him I'll take care of pool maintenance) and maybe he will fall in love with the idea and I can work on him for an upgrade! :)

Just another thought..... Instead of sand you could use screenings. Screenings is a by product of crushing rock. Your friendly neighborhood quarry will have it and it will most likely be cheaper than sand. Another reason for screenings is it will compact very well and less chance of washing away. Sand has a tendency not to compact well.

Just another thought..... Instead of sand you could use screenings. Screenings is a by product of crushing rock. Your friendly neighborhood quarry will have it and it will most likely be cheaper than sand. Another reason for screenings is it will compact very well and less chance of washing away. Sand has a tendency not to compact well.

Thanks so much. I think I like that idea much better!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.