Adapter for vacuum hose connection to skimmer port?

Jun 8, 2008
Hi all,
I purchased a new vacuum hose today and later found out that I've lost the "adapter" I used to use to make the hose fit the opening in the bottom of my skimmer. Are they a standard size? I have a Doughboy AG 24 x 52 in. with a skimmer with the clear brown lid.
I think the adapter went from 1 1/2 in to 1 1/4 in but I'm not sure. Do I have to measure it?
The hole in the skimmer actually feels a little smaller than 1 /14 in but I'm no scientist :)
Also, I've had this pool for 4 years now and only today was told by the pool dealer that installed it that I should have been vacuuming through a port under the face plate of the skimmer on the pool wall. I checked, and yep! there's a rubber flap there! But when I opened the flap, I found the port is covered with my pool liner. I talked to the service dept and they pulled my records. They may want to charge me to come out and cut that liner hole for the vacuum port. I think I can just keep vacuuming the way I did before, through the hole in the bottom of the skimmer. What do you all think?
And is that adapter standard? Can I pick one up at any pool shop?
Thanks!

SuzeFromDE said:
Hi all,
I purchased a new vacuum hose today and later found out that I've lost the "adapter" I used to use to make the hose fit the opening in the bottom of my skimmer. Are they a standard size? I have a Doughboy AG 24 x 52 in. with a skimmer with the clear brown lid.

You probably want to pick up a plate that fits and seals the basket to do your vacuuming, that way the skimmer basket can catch the bigger stuff and you won't clog the pump basket :)
I think the adapter went from 1 1/2 in to 1 1/4 in but I'm not sure. Do I have to measure it?
The hole in the skimmer actually feels a little smaller than 1 /14 in but I'm no scientist :)
Also, I've had this pool for 4 years now and only today was told by the pool dealer that installed it that I should have been vacuuming through a port under the face plate of the skimmer on the pool wall. I checked, and yep! there's a rubber flap there! But when I opened the flap, I found the port is covered with my pool liner. I talked to the service dept and they pulled my records. They may want to charge me to come out and cut that liner hole for the vacuum port. I think I can just keep vacuuming the way I did before, through the hole in the bottom of the skimmer. What do you all think?

You can easily cut out the liner, but I think you are better off using a 'skim-vac' plate and using the skimmer basket as the 'first line of defense' for anything you pick up with the vacuum!

I believe that the skimmer suction port is most likely 1 1/2" - a Hayward SP 1091-Z-7 should do the trick, if you want to bypass the skimmer basket
And is that adapter standard? Can I pick one up at any pool shop?
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!! If you need any more help or advice, we'll be here for you 8)

Just take a new razor blade and cut the liner from the inside of the pool, simple make an "X" first then trim off close to gasket.
I lost my adapter over the winter, went to the local pool store and bought one no problem.
I flip the lid of the skimmer upside down after I connect the vacuum hose to provide suction.

Tip: fill up the vacuum hose by placing in front of return first, get all the bubbles out, keep the end under water, insert it into the skimmer face plate hole, then flip the lid.
You need to shut off the pump to remove the lid.

OK, I've read the 'use the return to prime the vac hose' plenty of times here (I honestly mean no offense krcossin :) - however there is another way to prime the vac hose, and for a lot of folks it is easier (I know that on an AG pool the return is located ~ next to the skimmer, but if your return is 20' away from the skimmer, using the return to prime the hose can be a bit of a pain)

The alternate method is to put the vac in the pool, with hose attached :hammer: , and feed the rest of the hose into the pool (start at the vac end part that is still above water) forcing the hose ~straight down, as long as it's ~ 18" deep before it curls, you will end up filling the hose completely without having to move from the skimmer 8) You will know you've done it right if the water comes up out of the skimmer side end of the hose before you put it in the water :goodjob:

The return priming of a vacuum hose is simplest but, if your return is 1/2 way across the pool, doing it my way will save a lot of trouble/ hastle 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.