What would you change on this pool design? AKA Let's build a pool together!

mkmkmkmk

Dec 31, 2013
Northridge, CA
Hey all -

I've gone ahead and sketched out what I will simply call v1.0.

We've got:

Large baja shelf with 3 color bubblers
4 color laminars in the deck
8' diameter spa raised 18" with spillway, 2 levels of seating
2 fire bowls

We found a really great paver company with an amazing rate, so we're going to do poured in place coping then pavers for the decking.

As for equipment, here's what we're thinking:
- Pentair IC40 SWG
- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Flow Pump (011012)
- 2x Pentair 601012 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Pool Light
- 1x Pentair 640122 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Spa Light
- 4x Pentair 580001B MagicStream LED Laminar
- Pentair T40FG Autofill Automatic Water Filler with Fluidmaster Valve
- StaRite S8D110 DE Filter
- Pentair 460736 MasterTemp 400,000 BTU, Natural Gas, Pool and Spa Heater

Few questions:
1) I don't think this pump is enough to run the filtration + spa jets + bubblers + laminars at the same time, is it? What additional pump(s) would you suggest?
2) Is the Pentair 011012 VF much better than the 011018 VS? Given we want as much automation as possible, does the remote control system make up for the difference in features between these two pumps?
3) Is 8 jets enough in the 8' dia. spa? Can we bump it up to 12 and get 4 in the lower-seat area (where the jet would hit the back of your legs)?
4) The Pentair 600054 IntelliBrite Controller is required, right?
5) Should we go with 3" plumbing, or 2.5"?
6) What's the best remote control system (with iphone support would be great) that is compatible with our equipment choices?
7) What equipment did we miss?

And..
8) What would you change with the layout..shape.. design?
9) What suggestions do you have?

The "Garage" you see in the diagram is actually a 32'x30' barn. Eventually, we'll finish the interior and make it a really awesome pool house.

Larger pool design diagram: http://i.imgur.com/8O80PdX.png

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool design v1.0.jpg
    pool design v1.0.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 269
That pump will not be able to run everything at once. A far better idea is to have a completely separate loop for the spa jets with a big pump and no filtration. Pump size will depend on how many jets you decide you want, and how much flow they require (if you choose a specific jet type, they will have a recommended flow rate). Big pipes on the spa loop are a must (3" suction, 2.5 return would be good).

CA generally requires at least a two speed, but there are some exceptions for multi-pump systems as long as the primary circulation pump is at least a two speed and for systems with a single very small pump.

HP required is a function of quite a number of things: # of jets, design flow rate of jets, pipe diameters, pipe lengths, number of fittings, etc. Also, different people like different effects from their jets, some want more flow while others want less flow. That makes using a VS nice, since you can dial it in to exactly what you want. However, it is possible to calculate all of that in advance and get reasonably close to a speed most people will be happy with using a single speed pump.

Personally I would put the spa on the other side of the pool, it is my experience that no one likes walking around to the far side of the pool for anything they don't have to. It is hard to say much beyond that without knowing your family dynamics, intended use of the pool, etc. One thing that you don't mention is intended depth profile, which again is greatly effected by use. Pool depth profiles are always a compromise, a social pool will tend to be shallower than sports pool, which will be shallower than a pool that supports diving, etc. I know with my pool (a traditional 30+ year old hopper end 20x40) I wish the shallow end were just 6 inches deeper as I tend to hit my knuckles on the bottom when swimming laps. (I have fairly long arms).

One question for you, which way is north?

"left" is north. During the summer, the pool has an unobstructed line of sight to the sun from morning to evening. In the winter, the oak trees on the right will block direct sunlight for a portion of the day.

We're thinking the shelf will have ~6" of water (is this good/bad? what's normal?)

It's basically my wife and I, with our first child due this summer. We don't swim laps. We're leaning toward 3.5' - 6' - 4' as the depth profile.

For that amount of flow I would look into the IntellifloXF. No a light controller is not required for the 5g color LED lights a simple switch will work. To get the desired color you flip the switch on and off. Look up the install manual and it will give a greater description. My ledge is 10" and for me is perfect

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For that amount of flow I would look into the IntellifloXF. No a light controller is not required for the 5g color LED lights a simple switch will work. To get the desired color you flip the switch on and off. Look up the install manual and it will give a greater description. My ledge is 10" and for me is perfect

Thanks, will look into the IntellifloXF

- - - Updated - - -

Bathroom? I realize it's a bit off topic, but place to change for guest and access to the bathroom. Just a consideration.

The main house is easily accessible to the pool goers.

Eventually, we'll finish the interior of the barn/garage and it will be a nice relaxing space as well.

Revised the shape. Expecting the structural engineering stamped copies plans back tomorrow.

Got a good deal on 2 Pentair 5G LED Color Pool Lights and 1 matching Spa Light. They arrive next week.

The dream is finally starting to turn into reality!

This is my own personal peeve here...which way does the prevailing wind blow?

You need to have a skimmer at the absolute extreme downwind end or the leaves will blow right on past it, get waterlogged, and sink so you can vacuum them up. Also, those firepits need to be downwind of the pool. If they have wood or charcoal in them, you'll end up with ash on the pool surface otherwise.

6) What's the best remote control system (with iphone support would be great) that is compatible with our equipment choices?

We spec'd out Jandy equipment so we could use the iAqualink for control. It's got the web and phone apps and is slick.
If you swapped out the Intelliflo for a Flopro you'd be good using the iAqualink. The Jandy will control the Pentair lights (it will select the color for you automatically). We also went with the Pentair SWG and just run it manually.

I agree on skipping the autofill - it's one more thing to break and dragging out a hose on occasion is not a big deal. And, as pointed out... you may not know if something leaks.

We have both an auto fill and auto drain and if managed properly, it really shouldn't be an issue. During our dry season (summer), I just plug the auto drain line with a wine cork so I know if the auto fill is broken because the pool basically overflows. During our rainy season, I don't need the auto fill so I just turn it off and uncork the auto drain although this year, we haven't had much rain so I haven't done that yet.

I agree ... love the auto-fill in the dry climate here. You can always just turn a knob to turn it off and see if you have a leak. Much easier to install now than later ... I had to pay a good bit to add it to this used pool after the fact.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.