Pump won't turn off

Nov 27, 2013
Split by moderator from 6 year old post. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Woke up this morning 7 AM and both the filter pump & waterfall pumps were on (all were off last night). Could NOT turn them off at the panel, pressed buttons but nothing happened, pumps remained on. Unusually cold this AM in Houston, 35 deg F, water temp 50 deg F. I don't think it got below 32 last night but perhaps? Have a new 20,000 gal pool w/Pentair Easytouch control system and both pumps are Pentair Whisperflow 28 2HP. All other systems switched on/off normally (lights, Polaris, spa). I turned on the spa just to see if some heat in the system would help, ran it for 5 minutes, turned it off. A few minutes later the pumps shut themselves off at the same time... ?? This is a new pool and all eqpt is less than a month old. No issues up to this point. Good news is all back to normal now, but that was odd. Is there a low water temp auto on feature?? Maybe the panel got too cold and malfunctioned? Turning on the spa heater did raise the ambient air temp right there at the equipment station a bit... Anyway, any thoughts?

Re: filter pump won't turn off

I would second the thought of freeze protection, many of them turn on around 35 degrees on the way down and will not turn off until about 38 or 40 on the way up. Think of those extra 3 degrees as a safety margin for situations where the sensor may be located in an equipment shed that is a bit warmer than some of the pipes, etc.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.