West Monroe, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I've been having a time with my pump motor as of late. I replaced the capacitor two days ago and thought I had revived it for another few months...I was sadly mistaken. This morning I noticed that my pool was not moving so I immediately went over to the pump; she's not running and the multiport valve was frozen. I leave it running during the winter to prevent frozen/cracked equipment and plumbing. I checked some things out, and got it running again. After a little bit of whinning and screaming while primimg itself, it got back to it normal running sound. A few hours later I was standing by the pump and heard a click and she hasn't run since. I'm trying to troubleshoot and repair the motor before having to fork out the money for a new one. This motor was put on in August of last year and I don't think I should be replacing a motor already.

Does anyone have any experiences with something similar or can pass any tips my way; they would be appreciated.

I WILL be draining the pump tonight to try and mitigate any damages.

I would consider changing the bearings if the motor would run. The motor spins freely and I cannot find any abnormal signs. It doesn't even "hum" anymore, pointing towards the capacitor. Its almost as if the thermal overload kicked it off, but I haven't been able to get it to run since it cooled down. I replaced the motor in Aug of last year, but the impeller has been changed since then also.

I will look into a re-worked motor.

I did check all voltages from the breakers, through the switch all of the way to the capacitors. I'm not 100% on testing capacitors but I know a little about them.

I want to crush the piece of junk with a sledge hammer...do a little oilfield maintenance on it.

Any ideas of why my motor did not last as long? My new one will be at the house sometime Thursday, and if it's warm enough I'll swap them out Friday and do a little investigating on the old motor. I will look for signs of water getting into the motor, either from the seal or from rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not Oz posted this earlier (http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091212003313AANWCuL)
Possible causes:

1. The replacement capacitor is not a motor starting type capacitor of the proper voltage rating. A motor starting capacitor is a non-polarized electrolytic capacitor that is rated for motor starting duty.

2. The start controller or centrifugal switch is defective and not disconnecting the capacitor when the motor comes up to speed.

3. The motor is not coming up to speed due to another problem in the motor such as a shorted or grounded winding or a bad bearing.

4. The motor is not coming up to speed due to a problem external to the motor such as a bad bearing or clogged pump.

My new motor should be at the house tomorrow. Bama, I've already replaced the capacitor twice in this motor. I'm going to see if I can take it somewhere and they can troubleshoot it and maybe get it going again so that I can have an extra. Hopefully this was a bad apple and this next one will serve its time a little longer than 1.5 yrs. During the swim season I leave it running 24/7, is this detrimental to the motor? I have a feeling that the motor being in the open weather has a little bit more to do with it running hot and the bearings squeaking. As I said before, I plan on inspecting the motor for signs of water on the shaft end of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.