filter cartridges

giulietta1

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2007
Knippa, Texas
How often should one replace spa filter carts? The site where I buy them says clean at each refill and replace annually. Can I go longer by alternating two sets of carts? Would like to hear from others about their experiences.

Thx,
Jules

I have an above ground Hot Springs spa, it is the small Solana model. We need to replace our cartridge filters this year. We have been using them since we purchased the spa in 2000. They have lasted for a while, we did have the spa drained for a total of 2 years during two house builds. This is a small spa with a large filter, so we are probably able to get longer use of them.

1) Two filters
2) Replace dirty with clean one
3) place dirty one in dishwasher or clean with 1:10 ration of bleach
4) soak in clean water overnight
5) let air dry out of sun until it is needed for next rotation

My spa uses two filters and they are quite large, 8.5" diameter by 10.5" height. I have a set of filters I recently bought and the filters that were in it when I bought it (don't know how old they are). What is your spa's gallonage, and how often do you clean the filters?

My spa is almost 20 years old; I bought it second-hand. It works great, but the filter compartment is inconveniently situated. The lid to the compartment is IN the tub, and when the lid is removed, the stuff trapped in the filter floats out. So I'd rather just change/clean filters upon draining, but I don't know if that's often enough.

Thx,
Jules

My spa is small, 130 gallons and the filter is easy to change. We switch the filter every 1-2months at water change. Since it is so small, we change the water more frequently than we probably need to. This is only a two person spa and the filter size is about the same size as what you describe for yours, only we use one filter.

Thanks for the reply! That's an interesting idea, washing the filters in the dishwasher. I'd heard of using dishwasher detergent to clean them, but not in the dishwasher itself. I'll have to see if my filters will both fit. . .

Probably I will just go with cleaning the filters at each drain-and-refill.

Thx,
Jules

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.