Who says we don't swim in the winter?

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
Working from home today and tired of his whining-Air Temp 31F, Pool 49F, Dice Man (our lab)-100% Crazy
DSC_2804_zpsf3ca9c5e.jpg

DSC_2794_zpsbacf7823.jpg

DSC_2795_zps163edef0.jpg

Crazy dog!! How's your landscaping holding up? I've lost 3 pygmys out front (they were only small and were hit quite hard) and my large triple pygmy has suffered a bit of frost damage (despite being covered) but will hopefully still be okay.
Hope yours is faring a little better.

Crazy dog!! How's your landscaping holding up? I've lost 3 pygmys out front (they were only small and were hit quite hard) and my large triple pygmy has suffered a bit of frost damage (despite being covered) but will hopefully still be okay.
Hope yours is faring a little better.
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I saw that your area was hit a bit harder than us. A lot of my friends also lost their pygmy palms (some for the third time in 4 years). My neighbor trimmed his and wrapped the main stalk in shipping-blankets; we’ll see but it appears they may survive.
Most of my pool landscaping consists of freeze tolerant Liriope & Japanese Juniper (no palms). I covered my 5year-old schefflera; I tried to kill it while in a pot, but that sucker just wouldn’t die so I planted it behind the waterfall after the pool build and it has already tripled in size. That and a few ferns and other leafy bushes seemed to fair well (lost just the tips). Hopefully todays/tonights freeze will be the last!!!

That was smart. We took a calculated risk with the triple pygmy but were hopeful that due to it's size (it's about 10ft to the top of the ferns which is pretty big for a pygmy) it would fair okay. The smaller pygmys out front I got for 70% off from Houston Garden Center so I'm only out $10's of dollars on those so no biggy.
If the triple dies it will get replaced with a Sylvester - I already have them in the other 2 planters and they are much much more cold hardy (no effects from the cold as yet).

Back to the dog... Mine's a wuss - he won't go in at the best of times, let alone when it's cold (he's a schnauzer)

That was smart. We took a calculated risk with the triple pygmy but were hopeful that due to it's size (it's about 10ft to the top of the ferns which is pretty big for a pygmy) it would fair okay. The smaller pygmys out front I got for 70% off from Houston Garden Center so I'm only out $10's of dollars on those so no biggy.
If the triple dies it will get replaced with a Sylvester - I already have them in the other 2 planters and they are much much more cold hardy (no effects from the cold as yet).

Back to the dog... Mine's a wuss - he won't go in at the best of times, let alone when it's cold (he's a schnauzer)
Wow, that palm is huge..really tough to wrap that anyhow.

Does Dice Man use the spa when he's done swimming? :paddle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are something else. My Casey loved to swim. She would go crazy if she saw me put my suit on and grab a towel.

My female boxer loves the hose and mud puddles and will wade in chest deep water but won't swim. My female rotty has issues with water. We're welcoming a new baby boy boxer into the family tomorrow and I hope he'll wanna go take a dip with me.

They are something else. My Casey loved to swim. She would go crazy if she saw me put my suit on and grab a towel.

My female boxer loves the hose and mud puddles and will wade in chest deep water but won't swim. My female rotty has issues with water. We're welcoming a new baby boy boxer into the family tomorrow and I hope he'll wanna go take a dip with me.

My inlaws have 2 boxers and they're both the same. They love being on the tanning ledge and will lay down in the water but do not like to swim.

My boxer loves trips to the river. She'll play on the shore line all day long but won't go in past her chest. I've see some boxers actually swim but I'm probably not lucky enough to get another swimmer like Casey, my lab mix. Man she could dive, swim under water, pick diving rings up from the bottom of the pool and plat catch all day long if you'd let her. Miss that girl to pieces.

Congrats on the new baby! Maybe he'll teach the others how it's done. Dice has yet to mater deep diving, but it's not from a lack of effort. It's almost like his hind-quarters are full of air :)

Congrats on the new baby! Maybe he'll teach the others how it's done. Dice has yet to mater deep diving, but it's not from a lack of effort. It's almost like his hind-quarters are full of air :)

Thank you. We just got him yesterday and he is a pistol! He came in and just started pushing the 120lb rotty around. :mrgreen: I hope he does love to swim. It's nice to have a swim buddy.

lol at Dice's hind quarters being full of air. I remember Casey would take a flying leap and just dive to the bottom! Sometimes I'd get googles on and watch her under water push her front paws out to the sides to get deeper. She loved swimming under water as much as she did above water.

- - - Updated - - -

I went looking and found the pics of her diving in, going deeper and getting the prize!

Reactions: pragmatic
She was so much fun pragmatic! She would never think about going into the pool when no one was swimming. She would lounge on the deck though. She'd even get out to pee and then get back in. lol When I'd have the kids' birthday parties, there'd be 10 kids and a dog in the pool. lol My son was the one who taught her how to go under water with a tennis ball while they'd play on the steps. She wanted that ball so bad, she'd do anything for it! She was a good girl. I lost her in Oct 2011 at the age of 14.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.