New Owner - Pool Volume Question

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hi all, I'm about to start using the pool chemical calculator, and need to determine total volume. My pool is extremely irregular in shape and I want get somewhat specific as to total volume (see picture below). I found the below site's strategy useful to use graph paper and draw the pool to scale (as much as possible) and calculate individual units based on each square and that square's depth (I haven't done this yet).

http://www.poolandspachemicals.co.uk/volcalc.htm

What I do know from the building permit is that the surface area of the pool is 390 sq ft. I also know it ranges from 0-6.5 ft in depth, sloping the entire way from the walk in beach area. So I'm trying to deal with the walk in beach area, the steps from the walk in beach to main pool, the main pool itself and its shape, and the little seat shelf in the deep end that you can see in the picture.

I also attached a screenshot of a volume calculator from that same website above... but nervous about using average depth and I'm assuming the surface sq. ft includes the walk in beach area.

I'm looking for advice in getting this right, but also looking for input on just how accurate I need to get? I did try calling the pool builder but they are out of business. Thanks.

You could spend hours crunching numbers, but then you'll be missing the volume that's in the pipes, heater, and filter.

Do the best you can with the math. Dose the pool. Keep track of what you added. If the effects of adding chemicals at the bottom of calc.html indicate you overshot or undershot based on the next test, adjust the volume up or down 500 gallons. Then work your way up or down down again. Within a month or so, you'll probably know within 100 gallons exactly how much water is in there.

adding to the above, the precision of your calcs should get you within 10-15% or so on the first go 'round.

Then with some careful calculations and dosing (and then testing) of FC, you will very likely get it closer still.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.