crystal crete dissolving

Mar 12, 2013
Cayman Islands
The pool where I work is about 14 years old. I try my best to keep the water chemistry in line. Our current problem is that the crystal crete is disssolving and coating the filter grids. The boss has agreed to get it resurfaced for the first time this fall. Anything I can do to prevent it from dissolving further?

My PH tends to lower itself, but is currently about 6.8

Alkalinity is 100

CH was very high, so am guessing it is from the dissolving crystal crete

Chlorine is kept in the normal parameters, but sometimes drops when I have a day off.

Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks, don't have time at the moment to do a full test, but I can tell you this:

FC is kept in the normal range
CC haven't ever tested
PH is low and tends to drift down, add soda ash regularly
TA is 100
CH is very high, quit the test when it hit over 400
CYA also very high, WAY off the charts last time I tested.

Thanks!

Also, I am guessing you are using trichlor pucks (or dichlor granules) to chlorinate...that would cause your ph to continually go down and your cya to get too high (both of which cause significant problems). Both of these need to be addressed to help your situation.

Yes, am using tri-chlor pucks and I'm sure they're the reason the ph is always creeping down. I try to offset it using cal hypo, but am all out at the moment. I've burned through all of my soda ash as well trying to keep up the ph, about 200lbs since October.

I've told the boss about the cya and the fact that we need to drain the pool to fix it, but she won't listen. As long as the water is clear and we pass our govt. health inspection, she thinks all is well. What sort of problems can a high cya cause? I've asked around a bit, but have only gotten vague answers.

Thanks again!

Cya buffers Chlorine which is good, but too mush of creates problems if you need to SLAM (shock) the pool as it will require more FC to do the same job.

That said, Cya is not the cause of your finish problems. It is mostly because of continual low pH in my opinion.

I've got an order of chemicals on the way. I plan to keep the PH in check by using more cal hypo and of course soda ash. That leaves me with a high CYA to deal with. Will a high CYA cause my chlorine test results to be low? I know I have to use more chlorine to get the same effect, but will it alter the test results? Seems like every year I'm going through more and more chlorine...

Re: High CYA

Posts merged, Please keep your questions in your own topic. Bama

I've asked about this in another thread, but this is a more appropriate place. My Cya is so high it can't even be measured. My boss won't let me drain the pool though.

My question is, does a high Cya affect my chlorine test results? I know that I need to add more chlorine to get the necessary sanitation, but will all of that Cya bond with my chlorine and not allow it to show up in the tests? It seems like every year I go through more and more chlorine.

Thanks for all of your help!

Re: High CYA

It doesn't affect the test. I does, as you know, affect the amount of FC required.

With very high CYA you probably have a nascent algae bloom and can't get rid of it. That's probably what's causing your high chlorine consumption.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
200 lbs of soda ash since October? That's quite a lot.

Your TA is probably mostly, or all, cyanuric acid. This will make your CSI very low. Until you get accurate measures of all of your chemistry, and get them balanced, you will continue to have problems.

What is getting caught in the filter, aggregate?

Does the heath department regulate cyanuric acid levels?

How much trichlor have you used since October?

It is my opinion that the pool should be closed until the chemistry is correct. As a professional pool operator, it is your duty to ensure the safety of your guests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.