Reading pump curves

Mar 15, 2011
I am trying to work our it it is worth while buying a Variable speed pump (viron p320) with the below flow curve.

I have 9.5 meters of piping from the skimmer to the pump, and about 8.5m from filter to second outlet point. (about 18m of total piping alone). Does the below curve suggest I need to run on high - achieve a low rate of 100L per minute? Am I reading it right?

If this is the case - it is not worth while me buying this pump - as I will need to run it on high to get a decent flow.

Does the total head axis on these diagrams refer to total pipes of just pipes from skimmer to pump?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 21
Total length of piping actually has very little to do with total head. If you take 30.5m of 50mm pipe at 100 lpm running horizontally on the ground it would only add 1.7 feet of head. If you take that same length of pipe and stood it vertically it would add 328 feet of head. Calculating head is a lot more complicated than just adding total length of pipe and equivilent fitting lengths.

Having said all that, the Viron pump will probably come very close to moving 100 lpm even on low speed given your plumbing and equipment layout.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.