Cloudy water after adding borax

No, it is not. It is impossible to guess at what it might be without a complete set of test results but, if you have adequate chlorine in the pool, I suspect it will be clear in 24 hours.

How did your pH get so low? What test are you using that will measure that low?

They were test strips. We have had a lot of rain lately so I suspect that is the reason for a low PH...or could just be that the test strips are Crud. I will get a decent test kit, but will probably wait until next year as our summer season is almost over, so I'll be taking the pool down in a few weeks or so.

Chlorine was low but pool was clear prior to adding the borax, and no hint of green that I could see. Having said that I'm partially colourblind so I could have missed a slight green tinge.

Water is blue, just REALLY cloudy.

Test Strips normally give VERY bad results. I would put little faith in your pH readings if you are trying to get it right.

I assume you put chlorine in your pool, right? That should clear the cloudiness.

According to the test strip, it's about 100...but as we all know that could really be anything.

I've had my small filter running all night and still really cloudy, I think I might just drain and refill, or at least partially. I guess that's one advantage with a small seasonal AG pool :)

I'll definitely be getting a test kit for next year, not too many options over here though unfortunately. Most just test for PH and FC, but for a small seasonal pool like ours I guess that will do.

I think it's dead algae. I halfway drained it an refilled, as soon as I added chlorine (6 one inch calcium hypochlorite tablets, nothing else) it turned to milk again.

In hind sight I should have completely drained it and given the pool a good scrub before refilling.

I'm now putting truckloads of bleach (2L should raise the FC to 23ish) in the pool after using the last of my chlorine tablets. Hopefully it will clear it up.

I don't have the ability to SLAM the pool as I don't have the proper testing equipment, but I figure that if I keep the chlorine levels reasonably high it should at least do something...right?

From what I've read, if I leave the filter off for a while, the dead algae will settle and I can vacuum it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.