Pump ran dry for long time what to look for?

May 3, 2013
Ok first off this happened several months ago so I feel I am ok but.....

My kids were having swing lesson at around 10AM. I leave with baby sitter and swim teacher (20yr old girl). I come home around 2-3 and my kid says I think the pool is getting too hot because it is bubbling. I look outside and the swim teacher removed the vacuum cleaner and put it outside the pool. This was about 4 hours later. The water was bubbling out of the ports.

The pump has been working fine since but at shut off it shoots a small squirt of water out of the seal. I also noticed the water pressure went from say 15-20lbs.

The season is about to start and if there is going to be an issue I would rather do it now. Could the pressure just be a coincidence?

Thanks

An increase in psi most always indicates your filter has become dirty and needs to be backwashed/cleaned.

That ""kick-back" of water from the pump basket lid (when the pump turns off) usually means you have a suction side air leak. Pool School has an article on how to find and fix it.

For some pumps, the squirt out of the pump lid when the pump is shut off is normal. Many IG pump lids are designed to seal under suction but are not so good for pressure. So as long as air does not leak into the pump basket when the pump is running, I wouldn't be concerned.

But when a pump runs dry, the seal may fail so you want to look for a small water leak at the base of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.