DIY pool design - Phoenix

Aug 12, 2013
Hi all,

I am in the process of designing/planning a new pool and backyard renovation in Phoenix and will be doing owner/build. We currently have a fairly large diving pool, circa 1980, that has a leak, is probably due for a resurfacing, has had the plumbing messed with (main drain capped, vac port inoperable) and is about 5' from the back of the house and right in the middle of the yard. At this point we have decided to fill in the old and put in a new, smaller pool in a better location. I have done a fair amount of reading on this site and googled my days away looking at the process. gathering ideas, etc.

The new pool will be about 11x30 freeform IG, 3.5-5.5 depth (~14k gallons??). I am going to do a large second step/baja shelf (not the 6" deep variety) at the entry and do some bench seating around the ends. I am also looking at doing an 18" RBB at the back with a 36" sheer descent, 2 deck jets and 2 wok pot fountain things. I have drawn up a design on my own and would like some feedback.

I have equipment from the old pool that was replaced not too long ago so would like to reuse it, including a Hayward sand filter and Pentair 1.5HP single speed pump. I was thinking of buying a new, 2 speed pentair for filtration and using the old single speed for the water features. I am planning to do SWG with automation (not much) to control the pumps and lights. I also have the old Hayward Navigator suction cleaner and want to use it in the new pool.

Planning on coping of some sort and possibly pavers for the decking but will have to see what the quotes come back at. At this point, I am wondering what size pump I will need and if it is worth it to reuse the old pump and have two separate pumps? Any other obvious layout/design issues?

Thanks!

Attachments

• backyard-layout.pdf
    270.9 KB · Views: 104
  • pool-scaled3.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
Just took a look....existing pump is 1hp. Here are some pics of the pump and filter labels and one of the empty existing pool.
yvajara6.jpg
rejahuva.jpg
hemu5u4u.jpg

Your design looks nice. It appears from the picture of your yard and the layout diagram that the new pool is going to overlap the old pool location? I am not sure what the implications are for that as far as cost. If you were going to put the new pool in a completely new location then the excavation company could demo deck and fill the old pool with the deck and the dirt from the new pool, and it might actually be a wash as far as cost goes since they would not have to bring dump trucks in and take the fill somewhere else.

If the pool locations overlap they may need to demo all the pool interior of the overlapped part as well. Then fill it, pack it, and dig the new pool. On my pool there were 3 large palm tree root balls that had to be removed. They removed them, then had to fill the hole back with dirt and pack it so they could dig the pool boundaries correctly. So they basically had to get rid of the roots and restore the location as if they were not there at all and then start the pool dig. Not sure if the same would be for your pool.

If you are planning on doing automation I would just use one variable speed pump. The pump can run your water features when you want and then filter the pool at a very low speed. With automation, switching between the two modes is just a push of a button. You will save a lot of money on electricity with the variable speed pump. If you don't do automation I would suggest using 2 pumps so that you only need to flip one switch to turn your water features on and off and you can leave the filter pump on a simple timer.

Thanks for the feedback. The new pool will sit west of the old one with about 8ft from inside edge to inside edge. I am counting on using the dirt from the new dig to fill the old to cut down on some of the cost. Fortunately O dont have any major roots or anything where the new pool is gonna go.

So I can do 1 VS pump abd run everything? That would be n ice, how big do I need to go on the VS?

Also, for the SWG, since I am about 14k gallons can I do the IC20 or would tge IC40 be recommended?

Thanks!

Hexumaz said:
So I can do 1 VS pump abd run everything? That would be n ice, how big do I need to go on the VS?

Also, for the SWG, since I am about 14k gallons can I do the IC20 or would tge IC40 be recommended?

Thanks!

If you are going to the expense of automation, then you can program it to turn the Jandy valves and change pump speeds automatically when switching between water feature mode and filter mode. So one VS pump will do. All the VS pumps that I have seen are rated pretty high, like around 3HP. In my case that is way more than I needed but they don't seem to make them smaller.

I don't know anything about SWG systems so I can't help you there.

Here are some demo shots
umesase7.jpg
ny7e7adu.jpg
tahe9uny.jpg

I am now ready to have some grading done and prep for digging the new pool. I am unsure on what the height of the pool should be in relation to the foundation slab of the house. The closet the pool will be to the house is about 8'. Do I want the top of the decking surface to be even with the top of the house slab? Or slightly above? Any advice would be appreciated!

Got started a couple weeks ago. I have plumbing and steel done and am struggling finding a reasonable electrician to bond the pool, install the light and connect power/mount my Easytouch panel. Hopefully will have shotcrete next week.
yma3aqa4.jpg
yard view
uzaqy8az.jpg
digging
uhy7u4eb.jpg
dug and graded
ymetuvy9.jpg
plumbing going in
5edu4aqe.jpg
steel install
7y6uva2a.jpg
where we stand now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the sheer is about 4" off center. I think the plumber ran his pipe up a little off which caused the steel guy to set up the rebar a bit off center....and so on.

So my question is, now that shotcrete is done, can I cut back the concrete to recenter the sheer and then backfill with grout? I am not sure what my options are. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.