Multi-level (multi-height) spa seating??

Jan 22, 2014
Frisco, TX
Hey folks,

I'm a newbie to the forums. From Frisco, TX. Howdy. I'm finalizing my pool design for a new pool build, and reading this site like crazy to make sure I don't miss anything. (I have built a pool before, but it was 20 years ago, and so much has changed!!)

Anyway - one thing I've searched for and haven't been able to answer yet...

What do most people do with the seat heights in a spa? One PB designed 2 heights. Another PB designed 3 heights. And a 3rd PB didn't design any different heights - just same seating around the whole spa. I understand the different seatings are so you can hit different areas of the body/back when seated in front of jets (I think), but what do MOST people tend to do? If you have 6 people in the spa, is it weird that people will be at different heights? (For reference, this spa will be part of a 20' x 40' pool).

What do you recommend? What are considerations I may not be thinking about?

Thanks in advance.

Just had my spa done in 3 different heights. I had the same reservations as you - it seemed a bit weird to me.

I actually like having 3 different heights - in addition to being more accommodating to different heights, it also allows you to move around based on how submerged in the spa you'd like to be.

I have one bench that is about 3 inches below shoulders on waterline, one 2 inches below shoulders, and one at neck. I use them all based on my mood!

We have two heights in our spa, maybe a 5" difference. My wife is only 5' 3" tall so she likes the higher bench. I like the lower bench at which keeps the water line right at my neck, I'm 5'9". It looks like the reasoning is for different people's heights.

I would do at least two heights especially if you have any tall family members. My spa is one height and I really wish one side was about 5 inches lower. I am 6'4 and my oldest boy is over 6'6 so we stick out. It really is an issue when it is cold outside and the wind is blowing.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm definitely wanting to do some form of multi-level - just trying to decide on 2 heights or 3 heights. It's great to hear you guys are really using the different heights. My last pool a long time ago was "old school", lol, and didn't have multi-level seating, didn't have arm rests, etc. I'm excited about these new features, plus the better jets, the calf-jets, etc. :D

This thread has been really helpful and came at a perfect time. We have been trying to make the same decision - 3 vs 2 vs 1 height. The only thing giving me minor reservations is that the transition areas are not usable. I suppose it isn't THAT much space lost, and people aren't going to sit THAT close to each other. Our spa isn't going to be huge, so I am a little worried about space.

bhargraves said:
This thread has been really helpful and came at a perfect time. We have been trying to make the same decision - 3 vs 2 vs 1 height. The only thing giving me minor reservations is that the transition areas are not usable. I suppose it isn't THAT much space lost, and people aren't going to sit THAT close to each other. Our spa isn't going to be huge, so I am a little worried about space.

Yeah - I know what you mean. The transitions were what was making me shy away from 3 heights. Two just seemed simpler. Plus - like yours - my spa seems a bit small (although I didn't realize it from the pics). Based on researching here, 35 sq. ft. is on the small side, so i'm thinking of stretching it out a bit in my next appointment with the builder.

Yeah, mine is about the size of yours (37 sq ft) - 8.5' x 5'. The problem is, I don't have any space to expand without cutting into the pool, which I don't want to do at this point. I think I am going to go with 3 tiers to accommodate kids, the wife, and me. Good luck with your build!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We went with 9.5 x 7.5 interior spa dimensions in a similarly sized pool with one seating height. Having two or even three levels based on what has been said here makes a lot of sense though! I wish I had thought of that.

Seems to me that the size of the spa would be a big factor - in a small spa, a couple people might be forced to sit at a certain level for lack of space. If you're planning a large spa, you have options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.